not prop antifouling again????

Has anyone tried painting their prop with zinc chromate?I saw a claim that it was effective and as it is like a paint that dries hard I think it could be possible.And if its got zinc it wont be bad for the prop.....right?

Two problems. It is extremely toxic to both Human contact and to the Environment. It can cause Ulcerations from Skin contact and Cancer.

The other problem is that just as your Anode corrodes away, so will the Zinc in the Cromate, which will then allow the Chromium, which is extremely toxic stuff, to dissipate into the water.

We have a Business just down the street from us called Thermopolymer coatings. They do some really cool stuff. One of the processes they do is Teflon coating. I asked the owner the other day about whether teflon coating a porp is feasible or silly. He said he has already done one and it does work to a point. He said it works if you keep regularly using the boat. It will foul, but a spin cleans it all again. But if it sits on a mooring for a long time, it will eventualy get stuff growing that manages to stick. It lasts well, is slightly more than a Propspeed cost, but lasts far longer than propspeed.

I'm not sure on the life of prop speed but from my experience you can bank on 2 years if not more. zinc chromate is a etch primer and thats all I believe, the same as the primer used with prop speed

Zinc Chromate is added to Primer to make it what it is. I got just on two years from Propspeed. We put it on again and I will see how loing we get again. I guess it depends on how many hrs of running rather than calander time.

Archived