Cruising crew wanted

kathysail

Hi, I am visiting Auckland from the UK for December and January. My son lives in Auckland and is loaning me his S&S Falcon 24. My plan is to cruise in the Hauraki Gulf and shortish hops to The Bay of Islands, then more day cruising.

Is there anyone who would like to crew for a few days or longer?

I am a RYA Yachtmaster Ocean and Cruising Instructor so I am happy to give some instruction if needed. The yacht is well equipped, including and inboard engine.

You can see more about my sailing in the UK on http://www.yachtingexperiences.co.uk

Not many replies as I'd assume that most yotties who read this forum have already set themselves up for their summer cruise to Barrier over the Christmas/New Year break. Try the "crew find" under Classifieds.

It's the curse of the single, or one with a disinterested partner, crusing yotty: finding compatible crew for a time that suits you. However the trip to BOI is fairly easy to singlehand with convenient stops along the way; it's just the evenings that can be a bit long when on your own.

I'll be doing BOI/Barrier over 3 weeks in Feb/March and hope to get a friend to crew for the trip up. Somehow company for the trip back is more difficult to organise. :roll:

Hi Kathy,

My husband and I will be visiting NZ, from San Francisco, California, in January, and we are hoping to find a sailboat to go from Auckland to BOI from the 13th to the 17th (or so). We are both fairly experienced sailors in the San Francisco Bay (we owned and sailed a Westsail 32 for several years), but not much open ocean sailing. We are healthy, active, in our early 60s.

Your post is very interesting, but I'm wondering if the boat is too small for three people? We're not into luxury sailing at all, but would like to be somewhat comfortable onboard. And we would love to learn from an experienced coastal cruiser. If you think it would work, and you would be open to having my husband and I as crew for a sail up the coast to BOI, please let me know.

thanks!

Ricki

Hi Kathy,

My husband and I will be visiting NZ, from San Francisco, California, in January, and we are hoping to find a sailboat to go from Auckland to BOI from the 13th to the 17th (or so). We are both fairly experienced sailors in the San Francisco Bay (we owned and sailed a Westsail 32 for several years), but not much open ocean sailing. We are healthy, active, in our early 60s.

Your post is very interesting, but I'm wondering if the boat is too small for three people? We're not into luxury sailing at all, but would like to be somewhat comfortable onboard. And we would love to learn from an experienced coastal cruiser. If you think it would work, and you would be open to having my husband and I as crew for a sail up the coast to BOI, please let me know.

thanks!

Ricki

Hi Ricki

Thanks for your reply. As yet I am not sure of my itinery but would probably already be in BOI by then but would be very happy for you to crew if our itineries can be matched for some sailing in BOI area. My email is info@yachtingexperiences.co.uk if you want to contact me again.

Hope we meet up sometime in January.

kathy

Not many replies as I'd assume that most yotties who read this forum have already set themselves up for their summer cruise to Barrier over the Christmas/New Year break. Try the "crew find" under Classifieds.

It's the curse of the single, or one with a disinterested partner, crusing yotty: finding compatible crew for a time that suits you. However the trip to BOI is fairly easy to singlehand with convenient stops along the way; it's just the evenings that can be a bit long when on your own.

I'll be doing BOI/Barrier over 3 weeks in Feb/March and hope to get a friend to crew for the trip up. Somehow company for the trip back is more difficult to organise. :roll:

Thanks for advice, as a single sailor I will continue the quest for a compatible crew! :thumbup:

I will be down in Christchurch over the Christmas holiday so will be planning the cruising for mid-December and in January

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Your post is very interesting, but I'm wondering if the boat is too small for three people? We're not into luxury sailing at all, but would like to be somewhat comfortable onboard.

Hi Ricki, mine is the boat in question, she's called Crumbs and I've added a few photos below. There's a big comfortable double berth up forward with deep foam as well as two single berths, plus the toilet has a holding tank. Headroom is rather low in the cabin but fine if you sit! Otherwise you should find crumbs quite comfortable for three, I'd say that's the ideal number of people for her. She's a good strong seaworthy boat (One was sailed from NZ to France single handed!), has all new rigging and is in great condition, even has cushions for the cockpit! Do drop mum a line if you're keen, I'm sure you'd have a great time together exploring the BOI.

147193288_full.jpg

147193238_full.jpg

DSCF1146.JPG

Hi there,

I live in Auckland and am a women sailor - although I have not been out in a while. I belonged to a women's sailing club in Hawaii where we did leisurely training sessions. Was great as I dont enjoy racing but being out on the water. I would be keen to do some day cruising out in the Gulf if you are still looking for folks. I have a day skipper certificate and have current CPR and First aid as well.

Laura 027 2160 182. Cheers and Kia Ora!

Hi there,

I live in Auckland and am a women sailor - although I have not been out in a while. I belonged to a women's sailing club in Hawaii where we did leisurely training sessions. Was great as I dont enjoy racing but being out on the water. I would be keen to do some day cruising out in the Gulf if you are still looking for folks. I have a day skipper certificate and have current CPR and First aid as well.

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers

Hi there,

I have sent you a PM

Archived