ferro design that survived the Queen's Birthday Storm

jpazzz

Hello, I'd like to determine what is the specific design of the ferro yacht that survived the Queen's Birthday Storm. On another forum, Alan Wheeler suggested in something he wrote that he knew the boat and the design. I'm under the impression it was a Hartley. In any case, someone on the cruisers forum has suggested that Mr. Wheeler is regularly on this forum (under the name of Wheels?), so here I am. Can anyone, Mr. Wheeler or another, tell me which ferro design it was that did, in fact, sail through the Queen's Birthday Storm successfully.

This, by the way, is research by an old university academic. I think ferro, when properly used, is a good as any other medium. As for me, I've owned sailboats for fifty-seven years now. At first they were wood. For the past thirty plus years, I've owned an FRP Norlin Scampi 30 which has always suited my purposes...racing when I was younger; later cruising; and now, in my dotage, day sailing. Recently I bought a little cold molded day sloop for use in the autumns. So, I'm not doctrinaire when it comes to building materials.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

John P

Yep, wheels will be around here somewhere, and as always will have useful information for the rest of us. He works with Knot Me so one of them will see this I'm sure! Could always PM him if he doesn't see this an reply. Just log on and find a recent post of his (lots about to find) and hit the PM button near his name or at the bottom of his post.

Yep someone say Ferro????

There were several Ferros that sailed right through that storm and I am pretty sure there may have been some...average boats :wink: also. Our story was that we were looking for what was around for sale and had been in Picton/Waikawa for a weekend taking a look. We had vertually come to an end of looking when we walked past this huge Ketch up on Jiummy Carey's slipway and it had a forsale sigh hanging from it. She was a 50ft Hartley Tahitian called Waitane. We went as had a talk to the broker and asked if we could take a look. Sure he said and took us onboard. The owners were living onboard and the wife was actually taking a shower at the time, so we waited till she was finished and then had a good look around. Wow what a spacious boat she was. After a good look around, we sat down with the lady of the boat and had a good talk and she told us the story of her Husband and Kids being in this Storm. Her comments were that her and Hubby were scared at the seas around them, but keeping that fear to themselvs, the Kids sat on the Saloon floor playing games most of the trip. They sailed right through.

The sailboat had previous owners that had taken her on a journey to the Auckland Islands at least, not sure how far down they actually got. I found that out when doing a web search about her history. Then quite by accident, we rafted to a guy one evening that when we had talked about the boats we looked at, I metioned Waitane and he said, oh a friend of mine owened her and took her down into the deep South with a crew of reaserch people.

We ended up buying a 45ft Tahitian that was newer and had more upto date equipment and we got slightly cheaper. Waitane was sold to a German owner who spent a huge amount of money updating much of the equipment and then sadly had to sell her urgently as he had to rush back to Germany for personal reasons. The new owners sailed her down to Lyttleton and I lost touch from then, but heard a rumour she may have been sold yet again.

Back to the Queensbirthday storm though. Yes it was a good one and the HMNZS Monowai was in that storm and the story from the Captain is an awesome read. However, I don't actually think it was a storm that could be considered a boat killer though. I think the vessels that went missing did so for reasons other than that the seas simply over came them. Maybe if any of the same crews were on Waitane or any of the other boats that sailed through it, they would have succome to the Seas fury just the same...Perhaps, who knows. It's just that I am coming to the opinion that it is as much about sailor/s as it is about the boat. Unless a boat is a piece of junk, most will get you through some pretty major events. And in all the cases bar one that was lost without trace, the others could be argued that it all went wrong when the crew gave up and wanted off. Just my thoughts anyway.

Hello again,

Thanks to you all who replied. It appears as if Len Addenbrooke

built her. I've long admired that design. Personally I prefer the look of the original spoon bowed versions rather than the later clipper bowed boats.

Wheels, you say several other ferro yachts sailed through the QB

storm. Do you have any particulars that you could share?

It's interesting that now that I'm too old, crippled, and infirmed

(did someone mention late 50s Olympic Alpine hopefuls and trials

as a good way to end up really trashed in old age?) to sail off shore, I've become increasingly interested in seaworthiness and storm tactics...whereas fifty years ago, when caught in a tornado in an open cockpit Reimers Tumlare, I just dragged all the warps and hung on.

I rather agree with you Wheels about the crew being more important that the boat in most instances (barring just plain baskets), but I hesitate to be doctrinaire. With all the variables, I sometimes wonder how anyone dares to make prescriptions (and proscriptions!) about seamanship

Enough for now.

Best regards,

John P

Everyone certainly has a view and a differing view on what constitutes the best boat. And all are valid reasons too. As I slowly gain experience, I now greatly hesitate to ever say that one design is better or worse than another. Each and every design has positives and negatives ranging from material it is biult from through to Boat design through to cost. It simply comes down to a boat that best suits the owners needs. Personaly, The only negative I ever see with FC boats is that it is so hard to find insurance. And that really is the only negative that is seen across the board of all FC boats. Sure there will be individual boats that have issues, but that is the same across all Boats types and makes. Getting a good FC is just the same as getting a good Fibre glass or timber or steel. The thing I like the most about FC is that you get a heck of a lot of boat for the money. Most tend to be big volumes and they are powerfull sailing vessels and kindly riding.

Archived