This kinda talk really turns me on ......

ScoobaGurl

Cant wait till I'm writing these kind of reports. Email exert from some a couple I met back in February while on Pitcairn Island. They've been sailing the globe almost non stop for the past 12yrs. They left Pitcairn in late Feb, did the Islands then on from Fiji leaving the 17th Nov to New Zealand arriving in NZ 9 days later

It is always much better to reflect on a passage a couple of days later, that way it doesnt sound so bad. The passage down to New Zealand is usually a difficult one but not always. I would say it was average for us. We had the first 3 days of rough SE winds, then 3 days of light winds as the High moved over us, and at that time you motor as fast as you can, 12 hrs of beautiful sailing in west winds with flat seas, then a nasty frontal system which arrived earlier then expected, bringing stong south winds and big seas. We were only 130 miles out and we were stopped dead with the adverse winds and currents and waves. We hove to that night, most uncomfortable, and during the first hour our mainsail ripped open, a 6 foot long tear from batten to batten just at the second reef point area. That was Thanksgiving night, no turkey dinner for us. We spent the next 10 hours trying to get back to the first position so for that 24hr period we made a whopping progress of 2 miles in the right direction. How discouraging! Finally the wind backed a bit more into the SW but blowing 25 gusting 35, waves were breaking across the whole boat, down below was a diaster and everywhere was leaking, esp over the settee where I had trash bags and towels trying to soak up some of the salty water. We were able to lay our course into the Bay of Islands before sunset on Sat. and motored the last bit into Opua at 10pm. 9 days, for Alfredo it felt like a short time and for me it felt definitely long enough. We were happy to arrive and were marveling at the advantages of technology as we easily navigated into the harbor at night. Things have changed a bit since the first time I called in here in 1999, mostly the weather information and using the Maxisea program. We actually left Fiji through the pass at 10pm at night. Anyway we were checked in on Sunday with no problems. New Zealand is just as efficiant as always. This is my 4th time down. First project is to get a new mainsail.

Thats all for now.

Happy holidays

alicia and alfredo

sv On verra

Blind Sailing:

Sailing for Vision Impaired People.

The Auckland Blind Sailing Club Inc owns Green Pepper, a Farr 727 yacht with the larger Horizon Cabin, moored at the start of X pier, by the dingy racks.

We have recently been having a major refit and I still have some wiring of the lights etc to finish.

Normally we go cruising or racing with one sighted person per Vision Impaired Person. There are 3 categories for Blind Sport. B1 = totally blind, B2 = can distingish light from dark and B3 = restricted sight including bad focus, spots, cross hatchings etc. spread your fingers and hold up both hands with the fingers at 90 degress to each other, and look through. You can see some stuff but knot all.

We have several World Campions in the different categories, males & females. Oftenover summer we race with Ponsonby CC in the Friday night R&R races, Womens' Summer and Winter series, doing reasonably well at times. If only all boats had the same handicaps . . .

http://www.sailingblind.org.nz/ has more details.

We are always looking for new members and helpers. Recently with Sailability and sponsored by Yachting NZ, we took several blind and other disabled people sailing, many for the first time.

Donations gratefully recieved, especially for all the minor R&M items. We do thankfully receive grants from the Council, Pub Charities, various helpful Trusts etc for major items and last month fitted a new outboard engine.

PM me as I am Club Captain and Sighted Skipper.

Interesting.

How far WEST did they go before heading to NZ :?: Longitude :?:

Always pays to go well west before turning south.

Their answer .......

we tried to basically do a straight shot to the north cape, and did well 173.20E was our furtherest west, the course is about 180 magnet from Fiji to north cape and about 1100miles into Bay of Isl.

keep in mind that they are hardened sailers that have been on the water for 12yrs ........ there ony home is their yacht, so if there's an element of risk in the route they'd be well able to weather it ...pardon the pun! :D

Archived