Laser Worlds

Another text from Mike Keeton (old fart laser sailor)

Not winning yet. Still 1 pt in it counting all races. We have both had a 1st and a 2nd today. I have lead all races at some point so far. Won yday morning by 2+ minutes. rest today. First race of day at 1 pm is windier than second. I have slight edge uphill in breeze, by the second race in lighter breeze he has the edge. VERY close.

Mike

Michale and Adam French still battling it out in the radial grand masters.

Looks like good close racing.

results here.

http://results.rqys.com.au/12-WLM/12-WLM-RADIAL.htm

http://results.rqys.com.au/12-WLM/12-WLM-STANDARD.htm

great to see quite a few kiwis doing ok with Michael Keeton in 2nd and Pete Thomas in 5th of Radial Grand master.

Leith Scott leading the radial Apprentice div, Tam Edmund in 4th

Mark Orams in 3rd of radial master.

Nick Page in 6th of standard grand master

Rob Woodard and Kent Copplestone in 4th and 5th of standard apprentice.

Good to see the local laser master fleets are so strong, and I can look forward to geting my ass kicked for another 25 years in the laser masters fleet, unless all the better sailors (ie most of them) die before I do. :)

Mike's taken the lead

Michael Keeton (NZL) leads Adam French (AUS) in the Laser Radial Grand Master Division. French started race 7 in style, then recorded 9 (his drop) and 8 in the final race of the day, while Keeton recorded 2, 11 (his drop) 3. Keeton holds a three point advantage going into the final day, with Jeff Loosemore (AUS) third.

here's the whole report:

Laser World Masters Championships 2012 day 5 - The Final Count-down

A touching scene in the Great Grand Masters Radial fleet Laser Masters Worlds Media 2012

Three more races were completed on day 5 of competition at the Laser World Masters Championships 2012, being sailed from the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron, Brisbane, Australia. Today was warm and sunny with 10-15 knots of breeze, perfect conditions for the 233 sailors from 19 countries.

Chilean skipper Matias Del Solar demonstrated to the Laser Standard Apprentice fleet just why he is heading for his third Olympics in the Laser Class later this year.

In a masterful display Del Solar scored three from three today and has cleared away at the top of the leader board. Barring a major disaster tomorrow Del Solar will be named the new Laser World Standard Apprentice champion.

Australian Tony Baisden is 13 points behind Del Solar, with Brett Morris (AUS) four points behind him in third.

Baisden, Morris and fellow Australian Dan Blight jumped the gun in race 7 of the series and were called OCS. However Baisden and Morris recovered and Baisden finished second in the following two races, while Morris placed third.

Looking up from his laptop in the Club at the conclusion of today, Del Solar explained ‘My starts are getting better. I had two very good ones today. In the third race I was second at the top mark and it took quite a long time to run down Tony Baisden but then I found another gear.

'This is all part of my Olympic program and it's a lot of fun too.'

Wolfgang Gertz from Germany retains the lead in the Laser Standard Grand Master Division, finishing 3, 3, 4 today. US sailor Tracy Usher is just two points behind the leader. With finishes of 1, 4, 1 Usher is challenging Gertz for the top podium position.

Usher commented ‘I seem to be coming home quite well but with three races tomorrow anything could happen.'

In third place is the series early leader Martinie Andre (DOM). After a first place in race 8, Andre was a little too anxious in race 9 and was deemed OCS.

Laser Masters Radial Worlds Masters Race 7 Laser Masters Worlds Media 2012

Brett Beyer (AUS) comfortably leads the Laser Standard Master Division. Apart from his capsize result in race 2 (which is his drop) Beyer has eight bullets against his name.

Brad Taylor retains second, nine points behind Beyer, with Sean Atherton-Feeney (AUS) third.

Atherton-Feeney was one of five sailors with an early start in race 7. Chris Bolton (AUS), Andy Dyer (AUS), Bruce Utting (AUS) and Oliver Shtein were all called OCS. In race 8 the jitters continued with Dyer, Peter Van Ryn (NZL) and Andrew Simpson (AUS) recording OCS.

Beyer said ‘It looks good on the scoreboard but today was not easy. In the last race I only took the lead on the last run.

'It was better than we expected weather wise, still I could handle a bit more breeze.

‘This is my twelfth Master Worlds and this is certainly a good one. But my favourite still is Turkey, a unique location, warm and more wind.'

New Zealand sailor Scott Leith is now ten points clear at the top of the Laser Radial Apprentice Division leader board after 3, 1, 1, today. Richard Bott (AUS) is second with Danny Fuller (AUS) two points further back.

Leith was smiling as he de-rigged. ‘A good day. In race 7 I got a bit of weed at the top mark, rounded sixth but got back up to first. Then a clean sheet for the last two races.

‘This has been an awesome regatta. The race committee is really professional. My family arrive tomorrow, then we are off to Gold Coast for a week's holiday.'

In the Laser Radial Master Division New Zealand's Mark Orams is leading Greg Adams (AUS) by just one point, after Orams scored three bullets today. Mark Kennedy (AUS) is third, four points further back.

Orams, amongst his fellow Kiwis in the boat park said ‘Seems like I am shaking off the rust. It was a good day, less breeze and trickier conditions. I am a little lighter than most, so it suited me.

‘Greg really knows the place and is sailing incredibly well, so we are set up for an Anzac battle tomorrow.'

Michael Keeton (NZL) leads Adam French (AUS) in the Laser Radial Grand Master Division. French started race 7 in style, then recorded 9 (his drop) and 8 in the final race of the day, while Keeton recorded 2, 11 (his drop) 3. Keeton holds a three point advantage going into the final day, with Jeff Loosemore (AUS) third.

French was shaking his head. ‘A tough day, with an eight and a nine. With slightly less breeze there was a wall of boats - a tricky day.

‘In the second race there was a nice shift on the left and another on the right and I was in the middle. In the last race I had to do some circle work and in this tight fleet that cost me.

‘Mike and I are looking for a big battle tomorrow, its friendly of course, this is the Masters and we are good mates.'

Laser Radial Great Grand Master Division leader Kerry Waraker (AUS) was back on form today, finishing with three bullets. He is well clear of Keith Wilkins (GBR) and Lew Verdon. Waraker looks certain to add another title to his credits at the conclusion of sailing tomorrow, although Wilkins with twelve World titles is still sailing impressively.

Waraker smiled as he came ashore. ‘Speed is my friend' he said and he had plenty of that today.

Peter Charlton (AUS) leads the Laser 4.7 Master Division and is five points clear of Claire Heenan. Heenan moved up the leader board courtesy of 1, 1, 3 finishes today. George Meikle (AUS) is third.

Racing at the Laser World Masters Championships 2012 concludes tomorrow, Saturday 17 March. Three more races are planned with a very early start, to complete the twelve race series.

Laser Masters Radial Worlds upwind Laser Masters Worlds Media 2012

Uploaded : 271 KB

For full results of all Divisions please visit http://www.rqys.com.au/index.php/2012-w ... ampionship

All the news at http://www.lasersailing.com.au

Event website http://www.rqys.com.au/index.php/2012-a ... ampionship

I'm watching Mike as he is an old mate from waaaaaay back. But it is worth noting NZ sailors are leading in two other divisions as well, Mark Orams and Leith Scott. NZ could come out of this with three new World Champions!

He sure did! excellent news.

And Scott Leith and Mark Orams won their divisions as well.

Bloody well done to all of them!

from the above site....

"...

The 2012 Laser World Masters Radial Apprentice Champion was decided this morning when Scott Leith (NZL) took the win in race 10. Leith finished well clear to take his third title in a row having won in San Francisco last year and at Hayling Island in 2010.

Leith was grinning as he pulled his mast apart. ‘A very enjoyable experience. No pressure on me today so I found it hard to concentrate. I found myself watching the race, having some fun, not fully focused. I am stoked that Team Kiwi did so well, I was watching them today.’

Richard Bott (AUS) edged out Danny Fuller (AUS) for second on the podium.

Despite being OCS in race 12 (his second drop), Mark Orams (NZL) with wins in races 10 and 11 kept Greg Adams (AUS) at bay to take the Laser Radial Masters title. Adams was second with Mark Kennedy (AUS) third.

Orams was smiling. ‘It was pretty tense to be honest. I had to come from a long way behind in the last couple of days to beat Greg. He had a weight advantage at the beginning of the regatta, and then I was lucky as it eased off because I am light and that gave me a chance.

‘The Masters scene is very enjoyable. No one gets too much into the mental games; we are a little too old for that. There is good quality racing but good fun too.’

The Laser Radial Grand Master World Champion for 2012 is New Zealand sailor Michael Keeton. Finishing 3, 6, 4 today Keeton edged away from Adam French (AUS), who did not have his best day on the water. With 11, 2, 13 French sailed his two drops, to take second place overall. Pete Thomas (New Zealand) took third on count back from US sailor Doug Peckover and Aussie Jeff Loosemore. All three finished on 34 points.

It was Keeton’s first World title and he was obviously pleased. ‘Conditions were incredibly tricky out there, the breeze was left and right, the middle was ugly. Really I went out there today to be in the top group.’

..."

Just back from the airport - went to cheer Mike off the plane. I think he was a bit hungover and sore. I asked what his plans were and he said Sleep!

I think that is our best effort for a while, and looks like we have some real depth in the Radial divisions. My old man hasn't been too happy having to sail a Radial but he did ok too in the Great Grand Masters.

Next one is in Oman, wonder what it'd be like sailing there.

From YNZ

Three NZ World Champions after 2012 Laser Masters

2012 is the most successful year on record for New Zealanders at the World Laser Masters Championships.

Twenty Two New Zealanders went to Queensland for a week of racing in March, and three have come home as World Champions. Mark Orams, Scott Leith and Michael Keeton won three of the four Laser Radial titles up for grabs, and New Zealanders were in the top ten of all other divisions.

“New Zealand totally dominated the Radials fleet” Mark Orams is understandably proud to be part of such an accomplished team. “This just shows the true value of guys really working hard in a good competitive training partnership”.

This was the fourth World Championship title won by Mark Orams of Torbay Sailing Club in the Laser Radial Masters, a feat unprecedented by any other New Zealander. Scott Leith of Pupuke Boating Club completed his Gold Medal hat-trick this year, winning the Apprentice Masters division for the third time in a row, while his training mate Michael Keeton took home the title for Radial Grand Masters.

“He [scott] was winning by miles, it was just incredible” Mark said. “I’ve never seen a Masters guy prepare as good as he did for that regatta, it was an Olympian effort”

Scott frequently trains with Michael Keeton who has come from an offshore sailing background and has been battling away at the laser for many years. This is Michael’s first Masters Laser World Championship win, and he was closely pushed around the race course from fellow Wakatere Boating Club member Pete Thomas. Pete won the 12th and final race of the Radial Grand Master series, putting him in a three way tie for the bronze medal and claiming podium result on count back results.

Kent Copplestone and Andrew Dellabarca in the Laser Standard Apprentice and Master finished just outside the medal positions, both in fourth place of their divisions.

FINAL STANDINGS FROM ALL NEW ZEALANDERS

Radial Apprentice

1st Scott Leith

5th Edmund Tam

Radial Master

1st Mark Orams

7th Hamish Atkinson

20th Greg Corston

Radial Grand Master

1st Michael Keeton

3rd Pete Thomas

8th Bruce Jones

Radial Great Grand Master

6th Robert Blakey

11th Tom Speed

16th Michael Shields

24th Sandy Grigg

Standard Apprentice

4th Kent Copplestone

5th Rob Woodward

11th Ken Atchison

18th John Hayman

Standard Master

4th Andrew Dellabarca

17th Peter Van Ryn

33rd Robin Simpson

38th Graham Sharland

Standard Grand Master

10th Nick Page

24th Paul Thomas

NZ’s 2012 Laser Radial Olympian Sara Winther had a role to play in the success New Zealand’s Radial fleet, as training partner to Scott Leith and Mark Orams is her coach. The string of wins within her training group shows the strength of this campaign, including a deliberate role reversal where Sara attended this regatta as Coach.

Mark explained: “We decided as part of Sara’s build up that a role reversal would be a healthy thing for us as we’re still a relatively new coach/sailor partnership. As it turned out, we did learn quite a lot and it was great to have her supporting us”

To campaign and win at the World Laser Masters is quite different than at the open World Championships as the sailors in the older age groups will have a different set of commitments such as careers and family.

“Scott’s wife Sandy and their three young kids have been incredibly supportive throughout his campaign” said Mark. “And I feel the same way about my family. It does get harder when you have more commitments.”

Full results and more information on this event can be found online here http://www.rqys.com.au/index.php/2012-w ... mpionship/

Archived