Medical supplies for cat 1

Some people are allergic to aspirin, and ibuprofen is another drug that many people cannot tolerate as it can cause gastric bleeding Aspirin allergy is not common….one can be allergic to any medication. Sure NSAIDs can cause gastric erosions and bleeding but again not common and not a reason to stop using them unless someone has a relevent history. They have been around for a long time and used by many millions of people.

……... epipen I think that it should only be carried by and used for people with known anaphylactic reactions - it is not an antihistamine and is only effective in stopping mast cell degranulation which occurs with anaphylaxis

Broad spectrum antibiotics - penicilin too can be allergenic. The 4th generation cephalosporins seem to be a safe option. Of course there are people who are allergic to cephalosporins and there is a certain amount of cross-reactivity to allegies to penicillin. Unless a person has a known allergy to penicillins there is no contrindication to using them, they are cheap and they work.

If someone has a heart attack - the most important thing to give them is oxygen - I'll take the aspirin first, thank you

When offshore, if a serious accident occurred, you may want to keep someone in a reduced state of consciousness. Heh…. not unless you have means to manage and protect his/her airway and ensure that there is no CO2 accumulation.

A clean packet of baby nappies has great bulk blood absorbing properties, and leak proof, for a while.

Have a supply of towels, freshly launded and shrink / vacuumed packed for emergency use only.

Sure nappies absorb the mess, keeps you from slipping on the blood, but if the person is bleeding a compression bandage works better. There are commercially available types. Old WW1 'bomb bandages' are the best I've seen. Essentially they are a wad of something applied to the bleeding part and then bound into place so that there is pressure on the bleeding vessels.

Archived