Match Race Korea

The top match racers are finally all together for the second event of the World Match Racing Tour and this is going to be a tough regatta for the three kiwi teams that are involved.

Three Ahead After Korea Qualifying Session 1

As the world’s top sailors were welcomed by capacity crowds on the first day of the 2012 Korea Match Cup, Williams, Hansen and Mirsky took the early advantage on the water and finished the day unbeaten in the second event of the 2012 Alpari World Match Racing Tour.

As a Tour Card Holder, Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Team Korea White Tiger Challenge finished 4th in the final Tour standings last season and comes to the Korea Match Cup as skipper of hosts Team Korea. Racking up three victories in the first day’s sailing, Mirsky showed that he hasn’t lost his ability amongst the top international match racing field, “I was feeling a bit rusty this morning, it’s been a few months since I’ve been out match racing and we knew there was going to be a bit of pressure on us sailing in the team’s home country.”

“We had a bit of a crash with Peter [Gilmour] but it went our way and I think that the team will get better and better as the event goes on.”

Reigning ISAF Match Racing World Champion Ian Williams (GBR) GAC Pindar carried his impressive form from last season in his first event of the 2012 Tour season, joining Bjorn Hansen (SWE) Mekonomen and Torvar Mirsky on three wins from three on the first day of qualifying.

Williams, said: “It was a tricky session for us today as we hadn’t had a morning practice with the boat and the conditions were a bit shifty but we settled into it after the first one against Johnie [berntsson]. They were all close races but I feel we controlled them.

“The local team Gyeonggi and their skipper [Tae-Jung] Kim beat us last year so he was the one we were actually looking out for most. We’ve had a bit of a crew change but all the guys have done a great job today and we’ll look to keep getting stronger as the event progresses.”

Bjorn Hansen also made the most of changeable wind conditions to come through his first three matches undefeated, in the process beating Laurie Jury (NZ) Kiwi Match who was hot off the back of a second place finish at last week’s Match Race Germany. Hansen, said: “We’re looking to make our mark on the Tour this year. We know it’s going to be hard but we should be able to achieve a top three finish.”

“We had a frustrating time in Germany but Korea is a completely different feeling. We’ve always done well here, whereas we’ve never done well in Germany!”

“We won Korea Match Cup last year and finished third the year before so we are confident and to get off to such a good start is great for confidence.”

The second Qualifying Session takes place on Thursday 31 May at 1000 local time (KST). Live coverage and highlights packages will be available online throughout the event, to watch go to http://new.livestream.com/WorldMRT.

Current Tour Champion Ian Williams looks set to progress to the knockout rounds after taking pole position after the second Qualifying Session at the Korea Match Cup 2012, recording 6 wins and 1 loss so far.

Williams took a confidence-boosting victory over Peter Gilmour (AUS) YANMAR Racing, whose record four World Championships he is chasing down this season. “We always have an exciting race against Peter! Sometimes he doesn’t feel that he’s been in the race unless he’s had a couple contacts between the boats. He used the new rules well by forcing a collision and managing to wipe his penalty straight away."

His only loss of the event came against Laurie Jury (NZL) Kiwi Match in controversial circumstances, Williams claiming that the starting boat had dragged its anchor and skewed the line. The subsequent request for redress was unsuccessful and Williams, said: “We were disappointed with the loss against Laurie [Jury]. When the race committee boat drifts like that and moves the line, it’s frustrating not to get a redress but that’s how it goes.”

“Today’s results should take us to the Quarter Finals, which was the first challenge. We’re sailing well and we’re getting used to the new rules."

Phil Robertson (NZL) WAKA Racing and Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Team Korea are heading the chasing pack in the qualification table, ending the day 6-2. Robertson continues his hot run of form, having taken a victory at the first event of the Alpari World Match Racing Tour season, Match Race Germany.

Mirsky competes with a crew who haven’t done a lot of sailing together previously, but he doesn’t think that’ll harm his chances: “We’ve not sailed together that much before but we’re gelling on well as a team and all the guys are successful sailors so we feel competitive and positive about our chances.

“If we get everything right, we’ve got a team strong enough to finish at the pointy end in the next few days.

“It’s refreshing to be back at a Tour event. I’m not a Tour Card Holder this year but it’s great representing Team Korea, in Korea. I’m loving it so far.”

Winner of the 2011 Korea Match Cup, Bjorn Hansen (SWE) Mekonomen Sailing Team went into an all-Swedish match up with Johnie Berntsson (SWE) Berntsson Sailing Team in flight 9 as one of three skippers who finished the first day’s qualifying unbeaten. After picking up a penalty in the pre-start, Berntsson looked on the back foot but managed to pass his compatriot with an aggressive move around the mark on his last lap. Berntsson, said: “We know Bjorn [Hansen] had a good day yesterday but it’s not so much about being leader at this stage. We just want to get points on the board to get us qualified.”

“We always have fun racing him and this was a particularly exciting one. We did well to turn around the penalty that we got early on, when approaching the finish line.”

Hansen went on to finish the day 5-2 and will know that he only needs one more victory in the last Qualifying Session tomorrow to progress to the knockout rounds and stay in with a chance of holding on to his Korea Match Cup crown from last year.

day 3 racing will Hopefully start within the next hour depending on how low the tie is in the harbor. today will decide how many kiwi teams will make it to the quarters and it looks like at least two will go through.

Waka Racing Qualify top

A strong field of the world’s top match racers has been whittled down to eight at the Korea Match Cup. Young Kiwi Phil Robertson (NZL) WAKA Racing lead the pack ahead of current Tour Champion Ian Williams (GBR) GAC Pindar at the second event of this season’s Alpari World Match Racing Tour.

Phil Robertson took victory at the recent Match Race Germany and has left himself with the best possible chance of repeating that win, topping Qualifying ahead of Ian Williams and 2011 Korea Match Cup Champion Bjorn Hansen (SWE) Mekonomen Sailing Team.

A shifting 9 knot breeze resulted in a number of course changes throughout the day and in Robertson’s penultimate qualifying match with Williams, penalties were an influential factor. Robertson, said: “I think the defining moments of that one were the penalties. It was a really good win for us and we knew it was going to be the biggest match of the day. It was a stunner and the penalties kept it pretty close to the end.”

Having received a penalty early in the match after an aggressive luff from Robertson, Williams managed to offset it around the top mark in a manoeuvre which meant Robertson also carried one additional penalty into the crucial latter stages. He ultimately managed to take his penalty on the final upwind leg and retain his lead.

“Having the chance to pick our[Quarter Final] opponents puts us in a much stronger position and we know the guys are all really, really good but we have the opportunity to try and get the least experienced guy left.”

“This is the perfect start for us and it’s a good place to be in right now.”

Ian Williams was the early frontrunner in qualifying and finished on eight wins to Robertson’s nine, having been beaten by him in their flight 21 match-up. The crucial race saw some of the most exciting and aggressive sailing of the event so far, Williams, saying: “We picked up the lead and then lost it in one move. We didn’t manage to get it back after that”.

“It’s maybe good to have a reality check when you’ve been on a good run. We need to keep our concentration for the rest of the event.”

Four-time ISAF Match Racing World Champion Peter Gilmour was deducted a point during qualifying after a collision in his match with Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Team Korea and narrowly qualified with 5 points after winning a three-way tie with Laurie Jury (NZL) Kiwi Match and Johnie Berntsson (SWE) Berntsson Sailing Team, meaning he squeezes into the last Quarter Final spot. Gilmour, said: “We came into the day feeling fairly confident and when I reflect on the leader board with the penalty point we lost, as well as a couple of mistakes I made, I think we’ve been sailing fairly nicely.”

“The whole event starts from new now, previous results count for nothing going into the knockout stages.”

Korea Match Cup 2011 Champion Bjorn Hansen (SWE) Mekonomen Sailing Team has booked his place in the Semi-Final of this year’s Alpari World Match Racing Tour event whilst Peter Gilmour (AUS) YANMAR Racing lost out to Ian Williams (GBR) GAC Pindar in their feisty Quarter-Final battle.

Bjorn Hansen was in fine form in his match against William Tiller (NZL) Full Metal Jacket Racing, as he looks to retain his crown and take a second consecutive victory in one of his favoured events. A 2-0 lead could have easily become 3-0 for Hansen but he was denied a crucial umpiring decision in his third match against the young New Zealander. Hansen managed to cool his frustrations for the fourth flight and confirmed his progression to the Semi-Final, winning 3-1. He said: “It was four tight matches but we were very happy with the way we sailed and we’re looking forward to a bit of a break before the next round.”

“It was really frustrating after the 3rd match but that’s just part of the sport. We cooled down and managed to close the game in the next match. Everyone on board was very focused, so I’m happy.”

“The event feels similar to last year. We have a good feeling and familiarity with these boats and can sail on a much calmer level.”

Match Racing heavyweights Ian Williams (GBR) GAC Pindar and Peter Gilmour (AUS) YANMAR Racing were paired in the second of the day’s Quarter-Finals, the reigning Champion taking the brave choice of picking the Australian match racing legend, whose record four Tour titles he is aiming to equal this season.

Williams took the first match, which was followed by a lengthy enforced break due to damage on the boat of Gilmour’s YANMAR Racing. The contest was punctuated by aggressive manoeuvres and the final 3-0 score line didn’t truly reflect the three tight matches. Williams, said “The score line can sometimes be deceptive because it was a tight race and in the first one we were a long way behind at one point. In the second we were far ahead and he started coming back at us with some nice sailing and put a lot of pressure on our handling and our boat speed but great sailing by the all of my team GAC Pindar.

“It’s important to make the Semi-Final of this regatta, it’s a super regatta and high point scoring too; so it’s critical for us to make the Semi-Final. I think if we can do the same in Sweden and St. Moritz, we’ll be in the mix [for the series title] at the end of the year.”

Gilmour, responded: “We’re a little bit surprised, it’s not like us to go down three nil but it’s happened.

“I think Ian felt comfortable against us in the round-robin so perhaps that’s why he picked us. Over the years I’ve always had a little bit of space and respect when it comes to the picks but they got a good win against us in qualification so I guess that was the rationale. It was a calculated risk from their point of view but they’ve got us out.

“I’m pleased with my YANMAR Racing team, we fought hard and had some opportunities but were unable to capitalise on them.”

“Ian and his team are sailing fairly well and they put themselves in the position to get it and good on them.

A tight contest between Torvar Mirsky (AUS) Team Korea and Pierre-Antoine Morvan (FRA) Vannes Agglo Sailing Team went all the way to an exciting winner-takes-all fifth match. Mirsky, who held a Tour Card in 2011 eventually managed to get the better of his less experienced opponent, taking victory after two early penalties effectively ended the hopes of his French challenger. Mirsky, said: “We’re growing as a team and getting stronger and stronger. I think that we’re going to be a tough competitor through these knockout stages.”

Top qualifier Phil Robertson (NZL) WAKA Racing took first pick of qualifying opponents and lined up a tie with Simeone Ferrarese (ITA) Ferrarese Racing Team, the youngest skipper with a Tour Card in 2012. Ferrarese took the fight to Robertson in the opening exchanges but the selection ultimately paid off, Robertson taking a 3-2 victory and the advantage of picking his opponent for the next round once again.

In the final four, Robertson chose to face defending Korea Match Cup Champion Bjorn Hansen, with the match drawn 1-1 at the close of sailing. The other Semi-Final match sees Ian Williams already in a commanding position against Torvar Mirsky’s Team Korea, the Brit taking a 2-0 lead at the end of the day’s racing. Both matches will continue at 1000 KST on Sunday 3rd June.

Robertson, said: “It was brilliant to come through the Quarters against Simone [Ferrarese] because we were 2-1 down at one stage.”

“It was a tough call on who to pick for the semi’s. We’ve seen the other guys [Williams & Mirsky] quite a lot this week so we thought Bjorn’s [Hansen] form might not be quite up to theirs.

“It’s started tight, we had a really good first race then made a mistake in the second. I think it’ll be very tight tomorrow for sure. It might be down to the starts and who can get off the line the quickest.”

Just a little correction for the 3rd race in the quarters between Hansen and Tiller . Hansen was already carrying a penalty and was trying to slow his boat near the finish and try and force tiller away from the line to give hansen time to do his penalty or get a penalty on Tiller .Tiller managed to pass in front of Hansen as he luffed with no contact but Tiller was given a penalty for the manouvre and crossed the line to take the win.

Dave tiller from Korea you have to be there.

There is a lot of commentry bias

Just a little correction for the 3rd race in the quarters between Hansen and Tiller . Hansen was already carrying a penalty and was trying to slow his boat near the finish and try and force tiller away from the line to give hansen time to do his penalty or get a penalty on Tiller .Tiller managed to pass in front of Hansen as he luffed with no contact but Tiller was given a penalty for the manouvre and crossed the line to take the win.

Dave tiller from Korea you have to be there.

There is a lot of commentry bias

Thanks for the correction Dave. I didnt watch that race and I did my best job to edit and remove the massive bias to Hansen in their pr as they had written two full paragraphs on him. I have been very dissapointed with the press releases from the wmrt so far as they seem to only want to focus on their top four big guns (williams, Mirsky, Gilmour and whoever is a defending champ).

On a more positive note....It was a nice showing from the full metal Jacket team again as its the second tour event in a row that they have managed to make the quarters. Hopefully they can keep the great racing up throughout the season and make a few more appearances in the tour and even push for a tour card next year.

With a rise and fall of 8mt of tide makes racing here reasonably difficult. When fully out the course can be very short so boats do 3 laps. Sometimes area in start box is very limited so starting is most important . I guess its hard for a commentator to be unbiased but at least he should try.

Archived