Product reviews

A thread for people to post stuff about assorted products they find good bad or just ugly maybe?

I have one

#################################################

Inflatable Lifejacket

In a recent review of how I do shite and boat upgrade for extended venturing I decided that while I wear a harness often and also a inflatable PDF, it was a bit of the pain in the bum as the 2 made things bulky and often a quick trip to the bow started with a 'I should put my XX on but as I'll only be 2 seconds... bugger it'. Something I know many of us here suffer from. So I decided I needed something more integrated and comfortable that I would wear more of the time. So I thought shopping time for one of them Spinlock numbers.

On sussing around after trying a Spinlock and thinking it felt all a bit too 'stiff' I found the below item made by KRU in the UK. The very strange name aside it's damn well made, fits magnificently (after adjusting for some rating bumps I seem to have acquired), has big arm holes so zero contact with the pits and 100% totally free movement. Sits quite high, just above one growing rating bump, so zero issues with sitting down. I noticed it is also a lot warmer than one would have expected so that'll be a nice bonus at 1am in a SIMRAD R3. It is less 'noticeable' while wearing than anything I've ever used before so it'll be worn a hell of a lot more and constantly rather than the on then off then on again nature that currently happens. I had it on last week and totally forgot it was on until 3 hours later when I hopped in the car and thought 'Whose been pissing with my car seat?'.... Doh!!!!

What I really liked with this KRU over the Spinlock was it's more waistcoat like rather than the firmish bits of joined 'rolls', so to speak, the Spinlock is. No question at all, the KRU is way more comfortable.

I went with the offshore version which has a hood, crutch strap and stuff like that built in for those longer floats while waiting for a rescue. It also has a integrated harness, knot that you'd notice as it's been put in so well. Piece of piss to get on and even came in quite a sexy bag. It also has some ripcord like things on the shoulder, knot sure what those are and are scared to pull them in case some prick then tries to throw me out of an aircraft. I will read the manual some stage and suss what those are, I think they are to do with the hood. Also reflective peeking out from arse to breeky so you'd light up like a airport I'd think.

It's relatively good looking and you could wear it around town. Most passers by would probably just think it's some gucci Katmando mountain climbing jacket sort of a thing. It's very easily something you would row ashore and still have on while guzzling beers and eating the odd snarler.

Anyway if someone is looking for a very comfortable item you could wear for very long periods comfortably and then still wonder around town in I'd say you have to at least give these a very good suss. I'm knot easily impressed but I am with this bit of gear, I wish I had one years ago and I wouldn't have been bleated at so much for looking like I had a death wish.

I got this in Auckland from a Crew.Org sponsor, the 4th one down on the right hand side of the screen.

The photo doesn't really do it the full justice IMHO. It looks way more bulky in the photo than it does in real life.

And here endth a KM product review.

post-646-141887202337.jpg

Thanks KM. I've been looking at something like this myself and was leaning towards the Spinlock as it looked the least bulky, but this is good to know. I will have to pay Jonathon a visit...

Yes. I agree with KM. While I haven't tested the spin lock version so can't really compare " I luv my Kru" I wear a life jacket a lot more now because of this model. That's got to be a good thing. Got mine and Ray's (once he saw them he had to have one as well! ) from the same crew sponsor as KN.

Well worth the money.

While were on product reviews..

I brought a new jacket from sailors corner the other week.

http://www.line7.co.nz/marine-popup.html

The inshore race jacket, Its actually really good, and quiet warm, doesnt restrict movement too much, The only real difference between the inshore and off shore jackets are a couple of extra pockets, and a bright yellow hood

I got it on sail for about $325 I think it is, and after trying on many jackets, went for the inshore one, as I wanted new boots aswell!

having two wrist adjustments is helpfull if your trying to get rid of water up the sleeves, double ended zip etc, overall a good jacket for the price, Just wish I did the same for overalls a few months ago!

Got some leds from enertec marine that are real good. Festoon type bulb replacements that I've used in the plastic Hella ceiling lights. I've tried different leds and most are rubbish but these have good light output and are a slight warm white which is very pleasant.

KM - can you attach it to a sailing jacket. I really like my PFD as it can fit to my jacket so you're only dealing with one thing.
Can't say I've check that but I suspect that's a No. I tend to knot wear wet gear unless it is wet so I think I'd find that a pain in the botty as I would use the KUR more than I'd use wet gear.

For me it's the benign conditions that will trip me up with a quick 'she'll be right' trip to the bow or something. In shitty stuff you tend to hang on more and think about getting around the boat. So I'll be wearing the KUR a lot when it is nice no wet gear needed weather also.

Oh there you go Scottie, the proverbial horse with the knowledge :lol: :lol:

Archived