Frank Pelin

Guest Saturday Night Special

Thats sad, great guy, my dad and I built several of his runabouts and I built this Caribou 15 trailer sailer in the late 70's. Probably the only one ever built. It sailed like a dream and I cruised Auckland, Kawau and the Bay of Islands in it. I used to call in to see him in Barry's Point Road many years ago.

littlefeet.jpg

A New Zealand Icon, because Frank enabled New Zealanders to fulfill their dreams.

Frank, I'm going to really miss you and the time we spent together over the past few years.

Love You

Adrienne.

PS: hope you get to have a chat with Musgrave and Raynal.

post-10954-141887210907.jpg

As boatbuilders, we did several of his boats over the years. Frank pelin didn't really have the "glamour" label stuck on him like Farr, Young and some other contempoararies. But he was more everyman's designer, and did some well-regarded launch hulls like the Challenger and Apollo. His plans always seemed to include "generic" drawings that could be adapted to quite a few of his designs. As boatbuilders we sometimes wondered how amateurs coped with some of the builds, but, in subsequent years, we were to build boats drawn by prominent NZ designers, that provided us with considerably less info than Frank provided. I think "underated" would be the best term I could attach to Frank. RIP.

Pelin Family have announced that a memorial service will be held for Frank -

Monday, November 5th - 3pm

Milford Cruising Club,

24 Craig Road Milford.

Plenty of parking

ALL WELCOME.

Hi Everyone

I would be very pleased to see you all at Frank's Memorial Service Monday, November 5th - 3pm

Milford Cruising Club, 24 Craig Road Milford.

I am looking forward to sharing stories about Dad with you all. I miss him dearly!!!

Kind regards

Steph Pelin

After having built many of Frank's boats professionally, for clients, over the years, I purchased a Pelin "Cherry" recently to use to explore the nooks and crannys of the North Island's harbours and waterways, (after having done lots of coastal and offshore miles). What a clever, simple little design these boats are. I looked at pocket-cruiser designs worldwide before making a choice, and, once again, Frank produced a lightweight, shoal-draft, fast, beamy , inexpensive, very kiwi yacht affordable for the masses. At at least 30 years old, this plywood yacht is as straight and sound as the day it was built. And at 230kg, can be towed behind any small car. Well done Frank P.

Archived