New ramp for Narrow Neck

SloopJohnB

Got on ya council. Rather than do a $1000 odd fix and it would be good to go again for a few more decades, which would be all it needs, you're going to spend many many 1000's instead.

The hassle that ramp has suffered the last year or 3 is it's been repaired by 'preferred suppliers' rather than those that know what they are doing. I'd be surprised if the people who have 'fixed it' the last couple of times could recognise a hammer if their life depended on it.

Maybe you should get down there and have a look KM.

The existing ramp is stuffed and on borrowed time. This new concrete ramp is definitely required. The new ramp is to be set back into the old roadway (similar to the public boat ramp) so it does not project as far down the beach.

This is possibly the most highly used ramp (by boat numbers) in Auckland?

On top of hosting the 2011 Opti Nationals (some 300 Optis) Wakatere is due to host the Optimist Teams Race Nationals and the Auckland Champs/Opti Ranking Regatta in 2013.

I'm on that ramp at least once a week, often more.

Yes I may have got a little excited on that previous post due to being on it each week and having to watch we don't lose kids..... when it could easily and cheaply have been fixed relatively permanently a long while ago. In fact I've nailed bits back in to make it safer to use.

I saw the new plans last night. In 2 minds a bit due to it being cut back into the bank, I see nice old dears yacky and falling down the new hole but I suppose they'll only do that once. The ramp sticking down the beach does give a good delineation line on big races days though.

I'm in 2 minds a bit but some of that could easily be due to me using that ramp to go sailing when I was 2yos old. OK sit in Frostbite with a bag of gob stoppers while the dads raced each other :)

The sad thing is though this new ramp or a good rebuild of the old one will cost twice what it needs to.

The biggest problem with the existing ramp other than it's run down state is that it extends into the water at high tide. That combined with a decent Northeasterly means that the sand is constantly washing away and undermining the end of the ramp. This also leaves anything up to a 400mm drop off the end of the ramp (try getting your Opti down that single-handed with out damaging it).

The new ramp will be an asset for the Yacht Club and the Community for years to come.

I am sure it will cost to much like anything else managed by Council or Government but I don't really care.

PS Wondered who that strange bugger was hanging around on the ramp.

Archived