newbie starting point

shovelopikis

My wife and I are really interested in getting sailing experience

as both of us would love to get a cruising yacht and sail this spectacular country.

we both have no sailing experience and want to get out there and see if its for us.

we have tried findacrew, but have had nothing yet, but would love to join someone for a a day or few day excursion around Canterbury sometime

or would it be easier to enrol and train somewhere?

its hard because I take safety seriously, but a friend of mine randomly brought a 35ft yacht before knowing anything about sailing, taught himself, and is away sailing...lucky bugger.

We have the funds for a 30ft (ish) yacht.

opinions people? :)

I was exactly where you are now a few years ago. I was advised and did join a local yachting club and entered their learn to sail courses. That learning experience told me if I wanted to continue or not. I loved every minute of it !

At the club you will find others who seek crew for the club races. Join them if you're still keen & learn some new skills. I was not really interested in racing my boat so I joined others as crew. Learnt heaps.

Based upon my limited experience & budget I settled for a H28 yacht . A yacht which I was told by many experienced sailors would forgive my limited experience when handled in challenging conditions and it does.:oops: There are better faster yachts out there on my budget but Im happy to cruise along at 6kn and enjoying the ride.

Im also concerned about safety so I successfully completed the NZ Coastguard Day skipper's course and thereafter completed the Boatmaster course as well. Again a new set of knowledge acquired for safe boating on the water.

(in my humble opinion it should be made compulsory for all boaties power & sail regardless of boat size to do these coastguard courses)

This crew.org forum governed by a fearless Ogre allows to to pick the brains of a range of experienced and very helpful sailors with knowledge on many sailing topics / problems you may encounter.Ive learned a lot just following some of the topics discussed by these learned sailors.

Enjoy your journey :thumbup:

Archived