Crossing the main channel at 90 Degrees.

Clive

I was at a YC Supper the other day when the speaker Keith Ingram (Editor/Publisher Professional Skipper magazine) mentioned that there was talk of putting a by-law into place so that boats had to cross the main shipping channel in Auckland at 90 Degrees.

One of the audience asked how many ship movements there were per year and I think the number was 730. 2 per day.

This 90 Degree rule does exist in various places in the world. The English channel for example - 400 ships on a typical day.

He also had a dig at the Club for Yachts passing close to ships. An interesting point as I agree that this is very bad form and a dangerous act on the part of the Skipper although I got the impression that he wanted the club to start policing this or suspend racing when ships leave the port. I was surprised at his lack of ability to identify the true culprit. The Skipper!

A 1000 people are racing in the harbour every Wednesday night in the Summer.

We have the right to use the harbour too. Could those 2 ships per day leave later or earlier so we don't interfere or is this just too rational? What would happen to racing if we did have to cross the channel at 90 deg?

Just imagine if the port were to expand - 3 ships per day, would the harbour need to be closed for shipping movements?! I joke but I do think we need a voice.

I also think that it is fair game for the pilots to prosecute WAFIs (UK pilot term 'Wind Assisted F@3king Idiots') who do cross dangerously close.

I'll forward this onto the AYBA and see if they have heard of anythig or can do anything with shipping movements.

There are plenty of rules already in place.

The existing bylaw already requires 500m clearance ahead of and 100m on the sides and aft of.

Another bylaw will only result in more red tape and less compliance.

Seems someone is mixing up Traffic separation schemes with channels.

22.10 Traffic separation schemes

(1) This rule applies to traffic separation schemes adopted by the International

Maritime Organization but does not relieve any vessel of its obligations under

any other rule in this Part.

(2) A vessel using a traffic separation scheme must -

(a) proceed in the appropriate traffic lane in the general direction of traffic

flow for that lane; and

(B) so far as practicable keep clear of a traffic separation line or separation

zone; and

© normally join or leave a traffic lane at the termination of the lane; and

(d) when joining or leaving a traffic lane from either side, do so at as small an

angle to the general direction of traffic as practicable.

(3) So far as practicable, a vessel must avoid crossing traffic lanes. If obliged to

do so it must cross on a heading as close as practicable to right angles to the

general direction of traffic flow.

I bet the pilots get fed up with the WAFI's and I can understand why.

Maybe a few skippers should get warned or even fined. Bring back Skipper Responsibility.

On the other foot ... last year's Coastal when that huge ship came in at the start. The HM was written to months in advance and the Port knew that there was going to be a major event happening and at what time.

Why would the Port bring in a ship at that time?

When I worked there I often questioned why shipping was not delayed or brought ahead.

Perhaps if Harbour control was reminded directly on VHF 12 a few hours before the event it might have some result - especially if the HM office has issued a NTM t notify shipping that there is an event on. A bit like they do for people swimming across the harbour.

When I worked there I often questioned why shipping was not delayed or brought ahead.

Perhaps if Harbour control was reminded directly on VHF 12 a few hours before the event it might have some result - especially if the HM office has issued a NTM t notify shipping that there is an event on. A bit like they do for people swimming across the harbour.

Good idea, I'll bring that up and make sure that this gets done this year .. assuming that it isn't done all ready. :thumbup:

Archived