AIS,WIFI, NMEA 2000 and 0183 with Multiplexing

Island Time

Hi Everyone,

I've just sorted out a dealership for Vesper Marine. The reason I wanted that one is because of their latest product (and upgrades), the XB8000. It's primarily an AIS, but also a Wifi access point, and a multiplexer (I'll explain that below)

Quite a few of you have asked me about wireless interfacing. Most wifi AIS units transmit the AIS signal over wifi. That's it. They cannot add the instrument data etc from the boat, so all you get on your wireless device is your position and AIS info. Most wifi AIS units are also point to point (so your cell, OR your Tablet/PC can connect to the AIS, but not both simultaneously. That is the standard.

Well, the standard is now broken! The XB8000 has WIFI, NMEA2000, NMEA0183 and USB. It can translate messages in both directions - so your old NMEA 0183 instruments (or PC) can send and receive data to and from wireless devices, as well as get the AIS stream by any connection method they may have. It also can act as a Wifi access point for up to 5 devices, or join an existing network. So it's a NMEA 2000 - NMEA 0183 bi-directional adapter, wifi access point and WIFI AIS all in one unit. It used to take 3 devices to do this!! You can now, as an example, control your autopilot from your tablet/PC, without wires. Lots of other things as well.

Best of all, it's made right here in NZ, so we are supporting a NZ company as well. They do some other great, award winning AIS units (the best known being the AIS watchmate) as well.

You can see them here http://www.neptunes-gear.com/collections/electronics/ais-and-associated-products?page=4

I'd be happy to talk to anyone interested.

Cheers

Matt

Neptune's Gear Ltd

www.neptunes-gear.com

Archived