elliott 1050 main sheet system

the main sheet is set up 8 to 1 traveller is aft on deck   forward  of helm is  exit of main sheet   from  the deck    there is  no fine tune. does anyone have ideas for an easier set up the main sheeter is older

Hi 830

Our mainsheet is in the middle of the cockpit so loads a little higher.

We run a 6:1 with a 6:1 fine tune which should give a 36:1 fine tune.

However, when the going gets tough we run the mainsheet up to the windward sheet winch.

This works well for shorthanded sailing as you can ease the main and still have some control.

They certainly can be hard work at times

On the Elliott 11m I sail on we have a 7:1 mainsheet (I think need to check) with a 4:1 fine tune. The 7:1 is marginal in any decent wind. The mainsheet traveller is behind the helm and the mainsheet runs along the boom forward and down to a block in front of the helm same as yours I guess. The 4:1fine tune is located just behind the main exit block on the floor of the cockpit. It feeds to both sides so can be adjusted with one hand from the seat. I'll try to remember and get a photo tonight for you.

Cheers

Hi 830

forgot to do the photo last night ..of course to much fun. Anyway it's not a 7:1 it's 6:1 with a 4:1 fine tune on the tail. So both ends of the mainsheet finish forward, one goes thru the block on the  deck with a cleat, the other end goes to a double block which is the upper end of the fine tune. the ends of the fine tune lead port and starboard to a cleat at the seat edge so you hand sort of falls on to it.

hope that makes sense?

Cheers timb

thanks for the  information   everyone   with a new boat its all learning to get the right set ups.  we had our first  race  which we found we were a bit rusty the   elliott 1050 is   going to be great fun jeremy