10ft mini musto skiff

well in my quest to have the fastest yacht in big manly bay i have decided to design and build a 10fter based on the musto skiff.

i cant be bothered with a trapeze so it will have 900mm wings, a 500mm fixed carbon bowsprit and a standard 18ft phase 2 rig.

i will start the serious design once i have gone and looked at a full size musto sometime this week.

here is the basic design (the picture alignment is crap, blame microsft for that)

oh and also, i have started a whangaparaoa school 420 team so if anyone is keen to sponsor us into a boat, flick me an email :wink:

post-10268-141887159538.jpg

trapeze is where its at. but it sounds cool. be keen to see it being constructed.

hey if you need any coaching/training i would be keen. i have rather a bit of 420 teams racing experience, both sailing and coaching.

ok, i have the plans nearly finished. after starting to race on a thompson 750 ( :D ) i have decided that small wings and trapeze is the way to go. as for the rig i thought maybe a starling rig (modifyed to double spreader and big-ass masthead kite on 1.3m prod) would work because the hull only has a 1100mm waterline beam so it will be too tippy upwind if i use my phase 2 rig. can anyone give me the dimensions of a starling rig (incl. boom) and the stay termination heights?

ok, i have the plans nearly finished. after starting to race on a thompson 750 ( :D ) i have decided that small wings and trapeze is the way to go. as for the rig i thought maybe a starling rig (modifyed to double spreader and big-ass masthead kite on 1.3m prod) would work because the hull only has a 1100mm waterline beam so it will be too tippy upwind if i use my phase 2 rig. can anyone give me the dimensions of a starling rig (incl. boom) and the stay termination heights?

OMG that sounds like it's going to be a handful of fun :thumbup:

starling mast sections are fosters f4 sections. 44mm x 55mm

but if you are trapezing and a mast head kite i would suggest something a little stronger.

have you seen the amount of starling masts that snap/bend?

i dont know the size comparison but what about a 29er rig or 420 or 3.7?

thenks bene_sails, do you also know the lenght of the mast and boom?

i think if i put 2 sets of spreaders on it (1 about 1800-2000mm above deck and the other at forstay height) it should be strong enough. and yeah, i did think about a 420 rig but with the hull only being 1000mm wide (got the beam wrong in my last post) it would be too unstable upwind.

for a starling it is 4480mm maximum. but you can that section in prety much any length you want. so potentially you could have a longer mast.

how would sizes go with a 3.7 rig?

i think a 3.7 rig would be too big (remember, beam excl. wings is only a metre). it needs a trapeze on its own so it will be very hard in anything over 12kts with the kite up. i am aiming to have an upwind sail area that doesnt really need a trapeze, and with a bigger rig the boat will look ugly with a the boom way over hanging the transom

well i just had a big argument with dad about this, on the drawing in my first post you can see it has a large raised fordeck and the cockpit ending where the raised fordeck starts. i want to get rid of this and have the boat looking like an original musto with the whole deck being concaved but dad thinks that when i go down the mine the raised fordeck(with a big hole cut in it for the kite chute) while prevent me from going right over, but i dont think it will because of the musto hull design (quite alot of rocker so when you are trapezing off the aft end of the wings it lifts the for'ard 1/3 of the boat ot of the water and makes the aft sections flat). i made it all confusing but the basic question is- will the ugly raised fordeck increase the bouyancy in the bow enough to prevent it going right over when i bury the bow.

i would appreciate any pro. opinion

Outstanding work j.harkin. PM me if you want to look at a musto at RAYC.

I am no expert but I believe you are right that the design has a reasonable amount of rocker washing out to flat in the aft third to get the bow clear downwind (see pic). Bear aways are easy compared to 49ers, 12s and 18s as the boat is long compared to sail area.

Mining happens most in chop larger than you'd expect for the windspeed (eg, North Head wind against tide). Speed is your friend. If the bow goes and prod goes into the wave ahead it's game over say hello to the fishes. I don't think foredeck design is going to save you there.

Good luck with your project.

Labour%20Weekend%202009%20(349)_2.jpg

Archived