Grant Dalton is the Man!

[quote=They will have time and if you see the link above you will see that they have approved the hinge design and this is proven " fast technology" as used on the fasted boat on the planet.

dalts will have to be sure of his teams hardware or move very fast to catch up...

Or is he foxing with this current design and has something even better?... I doubt it as he will have to get it approved.

Hydro P does not go up wind so I don't think hinged foils will be a winner, but you never know.

[quote name=They will have time and if you see the link above you will see that they have approved the hinge design and this is proven " fast technology" as used on the fasted boat on the planet.

dalts will have to be sure of his teams hardware or move very fast to catch up...

Or is he foxing with this current design and has something even better?... I doubt it as he will have to get it approved.

Hydro P does not go up wind so I don't think hinged foils will be a winner' date=' but you never know.[/quote]

Hydro is not spec'd to go up wind as it is spec'd for maximum speed.

Talk out of San Fran is they have tweaked this concept to go up wind and fast.

Some one will be right and someone wrong.

You have to wonder. ETNZ will be the only team to be able to put refinements into boat 2. Other teams need to start building their second boats without even sailing their first ones.

Oracle is not sailing yet? Both are in the water and testing at the moment. Oracle has hydro foils on the rudders ETNZ does not.

Both are going to build 2nd boats. Oracle Testing with curved dagger boards - differrent curved dagger boards each side so as they turn to make a run in opposite direction they can compare data as oposed to two boat testing as far as dagger boards are concerned. Oracle seems to have an advanced design rear cross beam.

I note Oracle's number on the Cat is 17 which was the same number that was on the Tri. Any body know why the same number is used apart from it being a winner previously. ETNZ number was not.

Oracle has Coutts. Coutts seems to win every thing he touches. Beat Spithill in the Final match race AC 45s the have more points than Spithill on match racing races. ETNZ way down the points ladder - Luna Rossa has more points than ETNZ.

Interesting.

It appears to me Dalton needs some help ???

Does the marine industry realing want the cup to return to N.Z. Last time we held the cup the marine industry lost so many key

staff it compromised their workmanship and their ability to meet contracts on time and some took years to recover and retrain staff. Some openly expressed that they hoped the cup would never return to N.Z.

ETNZ has the same rudder foils as Orical from the pics I have seen. T shape at the bottom.

Curved foils on Orical? Since when? I heard they are packing up and moving to Hawaii.

This race will not come down to match racing. The fastest boat will win.

As for the AC45s. Who cares about the AC45s. You are better of tying to win the cup on 72s. I bet ETNZs priority on the 45s is close to 0 right now.

Yes Coutts is good but this time it might not be his race.

[quote name=They will have time and if you see the link above you will see that they have approved the hinge design and this is proven " fast technology" as used on the fasted boat on the planet.

Hydro P does not go up wind so I don't think hinged foils will be a winner' date=' but you never know.[/quote]

Hydro is not spec'd to go up wind as it is spec'd for maximum speed.

Talk out of San Fran is they have tweaked this concept to go up wind and fast.

Some one will be right and someone wrong.

Do you think Larry has recruited this team? That's why they are in San Fran?

I back people with a excellent and proven record.

Guys like Courts, Blake, Jones, ...

Would you back same one into a top job with million of dollars of funding based on a vibe, or a whatever? Some people with a lot more money than I have

Sure GD has put together a good Program, but he has not put together a winning program in the AC. And has failed at previous attempts

but agree that due to circumstances he is probably the best man. I just don,t rate him as highly as you guys.

If it was your team rigger would you back Dalton over Coutts?

Also who says his team and this design in a winning one?

If they get pasted then how will we feel? Likewise if he wins he will be a legend and I will rate him as the best without question as he will have beaten the best... Coutts!

Coutts left NZ chasing something else.

Dalton is the guy running the current version of Team NZ so he gets my backing.

Win or lose the AC ETNZ has done pretty well over the past few years.

I have repect for both men and what they have achieved.

BTW your statement about backing people with a proven track record comes across to me that you only back those after they have won.

I back people with a excellent and proven record.

Guys like Courts, Blake, Jones, ...

Would you back same one into a top job with million of dollars of funding based on a vibe, or a whatever? Some people with a lot more money than I have

Sure GD has put together a good Program, but he has not put together a winning program in the AC. And has failed at previous attempts

but agree that due to circumstances he is probably the best man. I just don,t rate him as highly as you guys.

If it was your team rigger would you back Dalton over Coutts?

Also who says his team and this design in a winning one?

If they get pasted then how will we feel? Likewise if he wins he will be a legend and I will rate him as the best without question as he will have beaten the best... Coutts!

Coutts left NZ chasing something else.

Dalton is the guy running the current version of Team NZ so he gets my backing.

Win or lose the AC ETNZ has done pretty well over the past few years.

I have repect for both men and what they have achieved.

BTW your statement about backing people with a proven track record comes across to me that you only back those after they have won.

yip winning helps and i have back Coutts since that gold medal and he has not let me down.... once!

He is the man of all men.... to date... but Ainslie is probably the best of all in dingy,s..... ever but still has to win an AC.

From George Carlin, seems appropriate:

I also realized I was wasting perfectly good emotional energy by sticking with my teams when they were doing poorly. My rooting life was scarely better than those Cubs fans who think it's a sign of character to feel shitty all the time. It's absurb.

I decided it's not necessary to suffer and feel crappy just because my teams suck. What I do now is cut 'em loose for awhile. I simply let them go about losing, as I go about living my life. Then, when they've improved, and are doing well once again, I get back on board and enjoy their success. Yeah, I know, I can hear it: diehard, asshole loyal sports fans screaming, "Front-runner!" Goddamn right! Don't be f&^#(n' juvenile. Teams are supposed to provide pleasure and entertainment, not depression and disappointment.

It is also completely unnecessary to suffer several days' emotional devastation just because your team loses some big postseason deal like the Super Bowl. Why on earth would you place your happiness and peace of mind in the hands of several dozen strangers? Listen, folks, if they win, fine; if they lose, f*ck 'em! Let 'em practice more. As for you, for Chrissakes find something to do! Get your ass down to the massage parlor and spring for a blow job.

yip winning helps and i have back Coutts since that gold medal and he has not let me down.... once!

He is the man of all men.... to date... but Ainslie is probably the best of all in dingy,s..... ever but still has to win an AC.

2 follow up questions if I may -

1 - The above is based on what criteria?

2 - Are you suggesting that unless you have won a AC you'll never be able to claim top dog status?

I just worked out why everyone here loves GD and has a negative attitude to Mr Coutts, they are both Kiwis but one has chased the dollars and gone to the stars and stripes side.

Is that the same Coutts that T Boned the start boat in the last AC45 series ? The commentators were talking him up before that little incident, not a mention of "four time AC winning skipper" afterwards :lol:

The results will be interesting but still 12 months away. Time to relax a bit, watch with interest and discuss with earnest the new technologies that are developed.

2 - Are you suggesting that unless you have won a AC you'll never be able to claim top dog status?

Well KM, put it like this...

I used to sail against RC then watched him not only win a Finn gold medal but get an engineering degree. He then jumped on board the A C and from day one has not only won an run NZ's campaigns and put NZ on the map but also knew when to leave a team in disarray and carry on winning and running winning campaigns right up to this moment. ( for the Swiss and the Yanks despite the differences in styles of owners, management and cultures)

He runs and sails winning campaigns full stop. He is NZ's best ever sailor. We should be proud of what he has achieved and the doors he has opened for kiwi sailors. Remember he was one of 18 that deserted the TNZ debarcle. How smart was that.

What I am suggesting is...

Yes I think the world recognises the best sailors have won Olympic medals and AC's. And it is well known that to win a AC, a Olympic Gold and a RTW race is the biggest thing to do and it has been done by how many KM?

The best sailors are...

In my order

Coutts, Conner, Bertrand,

The sailors that might surpass these guys are Ainslie, ...?

Then their are those crazy french legends like Peyron... whom appeal to others.

So the criteria KM is pure genius, winning, overcoming many more obstacles than most sailors and having the genius to suggest multihulls are the future of the AC and probably extreme sailing.

if GD is the Man.... then Coutts must be .... God!

It seems to me that Coutts is just having a bit of fun with this campaign and taking a bit of a back step.

He always seems so layed back in the AC45 series. Yes Coutts is a great sailor and one of NZs best but this campaign seems different to the others.

We will knot know until D Day but for me this has to be the most exciting cup build up so far :thumbup:

It seems to me that Coutts is just having a bit of fun with this campaign and taking a bit of a back step.

He always seems so layed back in the AC45 series. Yes Coutts is a great sailor and one of NZs best but this campaign seems different to the others.

We will knot know until D Day but for me this has to be the most exciting cup build up so far :thumbup:

You could be right but even a laid back Coutts is not to be underestimated. He has brilliant 2 &3 IC's.

Well KM, put it like this...

You could have saved all that waffle and just written

1 - Base on the very few who have played in the AC in the last few decades only.

2 - No Comment

follow up questions if I may -

Well KM, put it like this...You could have saved all that waffle and just written

1 - Base on the very few who have played in the AC in the last few decades only.

2 - No Comment

1. Few what? People?, countries?... only the best play at the AC.

2. .no comment??.... that is funny considering there was plenty of comment.

follow up questions if I may -

Well KM, put it like this...You could have saved all that waffle and just written

2 - No Comment

1. Few what? People?, countries?... only the best play at the AC. Yeap all those and more. Same faces for how many decades now? Mind you with the AC getting in, what, around 1 race every 5 years I suppose it's nearly like real yachting but just in super slowmo, so that shouldn't be a surprise I suppose.

2. .no comment??.... that is funny considering there was plenty of comment. Yeap there usually is

Does the marine industry realing want the cup to return to N.Z. Last time we held the cup the marine industry lost so many key

staff it compromised their workmanship and their ability to meet contracts on time and some took years to recover and retrain staff. Some openly expressed that they hoped the cup would never return to N.Z.

No comments from or about what the people in the boat building industry think or feel.

Only one team has applied for hinged foils so far. Which team they not letting on at the moment. I bet it,s Oracle, Coutts is quick and on to anything that makes a boat goes fast and I would not be surprised that he does not have to ask Larry twice if he has a good arguement for dollars or change.

I take it you're not involved in the marine industry at the moment?

Archived