Modern Cherubs

Pretty sure that there hasn't been much action here in NZ since Geoff Laws and Andrew Stone won the 'worlds' in 1991... I remember Bruce Trotter and a Cherub made from polystyrene about then... I think it died out in NZ in the early 1990s. There were quite a few crews sailing 470s as well...

I think there was a mould made and a few that were made... they are possibly in storage 'somewhere' - I guess they are the ones you are after, though they are nearly 20 years old now...

Most of the action is in Australia (www.cherub.org.au) and the UK (www.uk-cherub.org)... Seems like its stronger in Oz than the UK...

Its really interesting how close the R-Class and Cherubs are. That point isn't lost in the UK, with the R-Class foils being discussed there a lot. (http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/for ... ml#msg4089)

Guest Saturday Night Special

the polystyrene boat was Kevin trotter and Brett Blacks 1985 boat Brian nz the class putted out in the late 90s unfortunately but couldf be got going again really easily as the boats are still around and an interdominion with Austalia could also be revived

the polystyrene boat was Kevin trotter and Brett Blacks 1985 boat Brian nz the class putted out in the late 90s unfortunately but couldf be got going again really easily as the boats are still around and an interdominion with Austalia could also be revived

You're right it was Kevin... my bad... saw it nearly complete in his garage/basement in Kohi... I think it was shaped with a hot knife and glassed over... I think there were some sailboards made the same way which is where the idea may have come from... very interesting construction/materials which resulted in a very stiff and light hull... I suppose carbon is the way now...

Was shaped out of 3 blocks of styrene and cut with a wire hot knife shaped with an electric planer and glassed,It was a dog hence called brian NZ after Peter Blake made the statement That "Lion NZ is not a dog" ,the shaping technique was how most boartds were shaped untill cnc came along especially those made at styrotech

I used to sail Gaskranknstation which was Geoff Laws and Andrew Stones boat. There were a few of us racing in the early 1990's (about 92 -94 i think). Raced in Tauranga, Auckland and Hamilton/Thames.

Died out after that I think, which is a pitty because the boats are awsome. The aussie ones racing at the moment look wicked and I'm surprised they aren't over here.

The boats we raced back then were built out of kevlar/glass (not sure) foam sandwich and had Asymetric Kites with Carbon prods etc. Was a bit much to handle sometimes for 15 yo but had a ball in it.

I ended up fitting it out with another trapeze and still have fond memories of pining it down tauranga harbour passing all kinds of other boats.

Those ones on trademe are nothing like the ones I sailed. Will try find an old photo of it.

so you had a murray SD what was it called ,The snow brothers was a highly moded one from what i remember seeing and the computer lines i was sent from Bill Deeley in England of THe Snowsa Flat Stanley I remember all the dominent Murrays like Bad Jelly ,Susan of herne bay ,QSJB 4 , Bad sneekers ,and the last one i can recall being built was about the same time Phill Mcneil built Foreign Affair was ,big yellow Taxi i think

I sailed Gaskrankenstation Sail# 2747. It was white with varbished deck and green trim.

Found a photo on the net.

post-9490-141887152478.jpg

Not sure what hull it was.

Found a couple of pics on the net of Modern Cherubs from Aussie.

They look to be alot more advanced from Gaskrankenstation but the basic hull shape and Asymetric Kites are the same. Deck layout is differnt and the prods are retractable.

post-9490-141887152482.jpg

post-9490-141887152484.jpg

Way back in the day, I helped some mates build a cherub from a mould taken from the Laws/Stone boat (tasman express?). About 8-10 boats were built in one hit. They were kevlar/foam sandwhich with ply decks. This gave the class a bit of a boost in the early 90s. I'm not sure exactly how many boats were built from this mould - they were done in batches. The hulls were built with bulkheads and decks fitted, then the owners/crews finished them at home. I recall that one hull was a complete write off because there was a power failure just after it had been bagged and the vacuum pump (I think it may have been an industrial vacuum cleaner) stopped.

Gaskrankenstation is for sale again on trademe for $1200:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 974169.htm

Hey I just picked up Cherub 2720 (quiet riot) off trade me a couple of weeks ago. Its in pretty good nick and we had it out sailing last weekend. Its the second cherub at our club in Titahi bay. The other is a later build possibly out of the Tasman Express mold. Great bang for buck. I love these classes that have fallen by the way side because you can always find boats in good condition for next to no money. Will be looking forward to sailing mine all summer long.

Cheers

Steve K