information on...

That's what I thought too.

Some nice little winter projects in there to keep me away from home :D

What are a set of sails worth these days? Say main, no 1, no3, spinnaker.

It has been in Survey previously, Hence the Deer Fence stanchions - 3 Rails high not the standard 2.

It also has a pretty old rig in it, from the original Round Tube days and has the second set of spreaders. It can be grandfathered into the class rules i believe but they are a waste of time!

It certainly looks alot tidier than the Upbeat which was asking the same money - however Upbeat had a 15hp motor which is a bonus. The 10hp Buhks are a bit light on really...

Agreed it seems a good price, so would be worth a look. Having just gone through the process of buying a Young 88 (Yes snap thats the new boat!) i've gained a pretty good sense of what they are worth.

Mk1 vs Mk2 - A good Mk1 still struggles to get the price of a more tired Mk2 from what i have seen - the Mk2's carry their price.

Motors matter alot! - A decent motor holds the value up there by almost as much as a re-power is worth.

The Rig is the other main thing. Replacing that costs a fair amount, although if your not going for top boat in regatta's as long as it doesnt fall over your ok. And realistically - Buy the old rig from Brix (Also on trade me) which is recently painted, put it back together and stick it in the boat and the value will go up by what you spent...

Thanks for that info. Brilliant and well worth considering.

No point spending 20k on this to end up with less boat and resale than the better 50k boats on trademe :thumbup:

It probably wouldnt take 20k to get it tidied up though. Depending on what you were trying to acheive.

I ended up going for a Mk2 with a decent 20hp 2 cylinder motor, dodger etc because i worked out looking at those two boats it was going to take a bit of coin to setup a dodger, boom tent, bbq, califont, dinghy, outboard etc. And stacked it all and it was worth paying more for the package. But then again if your after a simple rum race boat you can cruise simply on (Simple is proportional obviously!) then its not a bad price and quite alot of boat for the money...

It probably wouldnt take 20k to get it tidied up though. Depending on what you were trying to acheive.

I ended up going for a Mk2 with a decent 20hp 2 cylinder motor, dodger etc because i worked out looking at those two boats it was going to take a bit of coin to setup a dodger, boom tent, bbq, califont, dinghy, outboard etc. And stacked it all and it was worth paying more for the package. But then again if your after a simple rum race boat you can cruise simply on (Simple is proportional obviously!) then its not a bad price and quite alot of boat for the money...

Which one Marshy?? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good question Smithy. Which 88 did you buy MM (or now M?)

Buying boats it nearly always makes sense to buy the best you can rather than I tired one to do it up. No point buying new motor without new sails, no point new motor if not new paint etc etc

Archived