Rob Roy

Gregandsue

Hi, Rigger suggested we should join up. We have just purchased Rob Roy, And are sure some of you will remember seeing her around Auckland, well she is back :clap:

Thinking about purchasing a chart plotter, obviously one big enough that we can read! any suggestions.

Welcome aboard, you own a boat that is a bit of an icon, I'm sure you'll stir up a reaction among the old farts here.

Meanwhile - have you had time to take a photo yet? (or got rigger to do it?)

Rob Roy - my Dad nearly bought her back in the 70's. Don't know why he didn't, but for years afterwards he said he should have. Niiiiiiiice. Glad it's up here in the tropics which is the home of many a fine boat!

Ahhh the mighty Rob Roy, good to see her still in such good nick - my dad Bob owned her during the 80s, had quite a bit of success racing her and was a great two handed boat too, and did a lot of cruising. She sat on our front lawn for a winter while dad stripped the interior and put in the nice new one that is probably in it now. It should have some big lead ingots in the bilge too, he found she went better with that weight in her.

Can't remember how long Dad had it for, but have sent a pm with his ph details, he'd be more than happy to talk about the boat. I think Ian McRobie was one owner before him. I remember the "ocean greyhound" tag, the boat came with a flat reacher/chicken chute with a greyhound emblem.

am i correct in that Rob Roy is a Peter Nelson design ? one of his earlier fast yachts.

and ian McRobie went on to own a Nelson Oracle 32 named Scott, the same as my Oracle (the original )

pity more boats weren't designed / built from Peter Nelson, his designs are great....

Archived