Suck, then blow then suck again??

A GE electric vain vacuum pump. Been working very well sucking panels, Javelins, broom cupboard doors, dunny seats and so on but just went a bit weird.

Got everything laid up and wetted out so turned pump on, sucks down nicely. Flick power off for a minute to rearrange some stuff then turn it back on. Pump just hums but nothing seems to be going round, turn off power, kick pump. Try again, same hum same power off and same kick. Turn on power and things now going around = all is good. Go to suss panel to make sure all is good, WTF?? Vac bag blowing up like balloon... errr that's knot right, turn pump off, scratch head and thinks 'hit undo button to reverse last action' so kicks pump again, twice. Turn pump on and it's off sucking like a $10 K Rd slapper hanging for a meth fix.

Questions -

1 - How can a sucker suddenly blow, does that mean the motor reversed itself?

2 - If it did reverse how?

3 - Now it's sucking again should I just run with it but watch or when finished today take it to a doctor?

Currently the pump is sucking the panel so no touching it now until it's loved it long time.

The pump is a Wheels constructed little ripper and if anyone wants to know what sort of fuel filter he used to have in his boat.... :lol:

The other pic is the panel that's hoping for the pump to give it a good finish ;)

If you want your own pump drop Wheels a PM, it cost me a lot less than most think and has proved damn handy for a few of us currently in construction mode. I doubt it would do a whole 40fter but it's easily done a whole 14ft Javelin and carbon/foam panels measuring 3mts by 1.4mts. The panel in the photo is only 2mts x 500mm, a baby.

post-646-141887264397.jpg

post-646-141887264403.jpg

Don't you know you should always give something two Kicks, not one. :wink:

Ummm, not really sure, but.....Maybe there was a little too much suck still in the system and the motor had a hard job getting going. The motor is capacitor start and the only thing I can think of is that for some reason, the Motor started in reverse. A cap start motor can be started in reverse if you manually start spinning it in the opposite direction and then apply the power, so perhaps some suck made it turn backwards just enough to start it off when you hit the switch.

Maybe the voltage in that long extension lead you have to the Man Cave, dropped too much voltage and when there was still sucky stuff in the line, the motor didn't have enough oomph to start, so it sat and hummed instead of singing like the Vienna Boys Choir.

You're getting good at the ole suck a panel thing. So have you made the Dunny seat???

A GE electric vain vacuum pump. Been working very well sucking panels, Javelins, broom cupboard doors, dunny seats and so on but just went a bit weird.

Got everything laid up and wetted out so turned pump on, sucks down nicely. Flick power off for a minute to rearrange some stuff then turn it back on. Pump just hums but nothing seems to be going round, turn off power, kick pump. Try again, same hum same power off and same kick. Turn on power and things now going around = all is good. Go to suss panel to make sure all is good, WTF?? Vac bag blowing up like balloon... errr that's knot right, turn pump off, scratch head and thinks 'hit undo button to reverse last action' so kicks pump again, twice. Turn pump on and it's off sucking like a $10 K Rd slapper hanging for a meth fix.

Questions -

1 - How can a sucker suddenly blow, does that mean the motor reversed itself?

2 - If it did reverse how?

3 - Now it's sucking again should I just run with it but watch or when finished today take it to a doctor?

Currently the pump is sucking the panel so no touching it now until it's loved it long time.

The pump is a Wheels constructed little ripper and if anyone wants to know what sort of fuel filter he used to have in his boat.... :lol:

The other pic is the panel that's hoping for the pump to give it a good finish ;)

If you want your own pump drop Wheels a PM, it cost me a lot less than most think and has proved damn handy for a few of us currently in construction mode. I doubt it would do a whole 40fter but it's easily done a whole 14ft Javelin and carbon/foam panels measuring 3mts by 1.4mts. The panel in the photo is only 2mts x 500mm, a baby.

On a related note - what vac pressure do you get / need for this madness?

Not a lot actually. I had originally made the Dial go all the way to "Black Hole", but then we got a tip from a Local Boat Builder that we only needed a little suck. So I was somewhat disappointed that I only needed the dial set to slightly sucky. I made a Regulator that allows KM to set the amount of suction required using the Vacuum gauge.

On a similar subject of Vacuum, I just made another vacuum unit for a completely different requirement. This situation I needed to pull a complete vacuum in a large'ish Steel Vessel to #$*##$*# actually I can't say what I am doing. So being the normal "Money is no object"....because there is no money, so it really is no object. I got a cheap Air compressor and cut the end off the Tank and fitted that end as a Door. Made a seal around it to keep it air tight. Then re plumped the compressor and re wired it so the Compressor sucked from the Tank instead of Blew. Works a treat. Pulls to an absolute vacuum, or close enough to what I need anyway. I place contents into the chamber and close the Door and start her up and it sucks all the air out in a few seconds. So if anyone wants to pull a vacuum and Money is no object, go buy a $139 Supercheap Aircompressor.

Could be the spinning backwards thing. I did give it a blast with the airgun so it is possible I got something spinning backwards when I turned the power on.

It continued to work fine and the panel, a door actually, came up sweet.

On a related note - what vac pressure do you get / need for this madness?
Not exactly sure but the couple of fist sucks I did were get my hand back in the game ones and when shown to a boat butcher that sucks lots of stuff he said 'Whoo big fella way to much suck', so Wheels fitted a control gizmo. The dial goes to about 80 when it's got a perfect seal and we run it at around 40-50.

You're getting good at the ole suck a panel thing. So have you made the Dunny seat???
Tried but it came out only fit for the US to use at Guantanamo Bay when they got bored electrocuting testicles. Be great in rough weather as you'd never slide anywhere :lol: The seats still a work in progress.

Archived