Another mystery, but this one is a Boating one

wheels

A Marlborough Man has mysteriously disappeared in the Sounds. His name is Kerry Blair and he lives out at Erie Bay in Tory Channel. He was supposed to be going to Picton at about 4PM last Saturday to get something and he and the Boat has vanished. It's a 9M ally Boat with a small cabin and is powered by a Diesel engine with big fuel tanks and thus a really long range. Searches have covered the sounds and have come to the conclusion that the Boat is not in the Sounds. Strangely, the guys cell ph signal got picked up briefly West of Farewell Spit (that's out to sea in the Tasman) and one hell of a long way away.

Really Odd.

This story has also continued to extend the mystery. It looks like the Boat has been found, but it is 150Kms out to Sea from New Plymouth. Not confirmed yet as Searchers have not got to it. Man it must be ruff out there. A vessel is supposedly on it's way out there, but I can't see them getting out in the Sea state that must be out there. Rather them than me.

Just my thinkings here, but I wonder if the guy had gone out to Cape Jackson area for a Fish, had the boat on Autopilot and then had a Heart attack or something and the Boat has just carried on in a straight line. A straight line from Cape Jackson could take someone over open Sea across the top of Farewell Spit and out to be off shore from New Plymouth.

had the boat on Autopilot and then had a Heart attack or something and the Boat has just carried on in a straight line.

That possibility's always given me the shivering heebie-jeebies.

Archived