Reefrite head sail lugs

Steve Pope

1. Every time I struggle with getting the roller furling Genoa down the forestay I think of getting Reefrite lugs sewn on to make the sail more manageable, especially in any sort of a breeze, Has anyone got an opinion?

2. I have a light air (.75 oz) double luff head sail that has a luff wire fitted, this is showing signs of age (lots of sprags) the sail itself if used judiciously has a mile or 10 left in it. What would be the best to use, rope / tape / dyneema, to replace the wire?

hey Steve, I have them. They work well and are sort of like hanks to change sails, especially with the reefrite downloader gate thing.( thats what I have)

But in an overlap with the sailtrim thread where they're talking about halyard tension, it can be a challenge keeping the scalloping out of the luff. I think in general you need less tension with a boltrope. My gear is quite heavy and difficult to adjust underway so I probably tend to have more tension than ideal ,because I'm anticipating what the wind might become.

On the positive side and as you've identified, It does make it a lot easier to take the sail off and on, even if its more a seasonal or occasional race thing rather than regularly.

They are generally good. They won't go thru the feeders on some furlers so check that first. You can actually have a decent size luff rope in the sail and have kiwi slides so that is a plus. They can break under to much load.

Archived