Squaddy Winter Series 14

Get rid of the rings Phil. Replace them with longer lengths of PVC Pipe like this - the bigger the Diameter the easier to get the pole in them.

http://www.cautionwater.com/uploads/Din ... oom-06.jpg

The trick is to cut the ends at a 45 degree angle which gives you a big slot to aim for when sticking your pole in (Stop thinking dirty KM)...

Had them on Mercenary and they last and work well, and arent as fragile as the Stainless options that bend and make a heinous noise when flogging the main etc.

I use a curved angle to "make a shelf" to put it on before sliding in. easy as

I saw a interesting set up last year. they ran a shock cord from inside the boom aft thru a exit block and then forward through the "down pipe" boom ring and clipped to the mast Spin pole ring, this was duplicated on the other side/boom ring.

When it came time to remove the pole they just clipped the appropriate side (shock cord) to the pole and released it from the mast ring and bang!... it was stowed.

launching was easy as they could release he tension on the shockcord with a rope and jamb cleat arrangement on the other end.

Get rid of the rings Phil. Replace them with longer lengths of PVC Pipe like this - the bigger the Diameter the easier to get the pole in them.

The trick is to cut the ends at a 45 degree angle which gives you a big slot to aim for when sticking your pole in (Stop thinking dirty KM)...

Gezzzzz.... you young fellas with all these new wizz bang technologies... like shoe phones, wine knot in a cask and that stuff called plastic. I'm old school so will live with my bling and I can assure you I won't be cutting my end off on a 45 degree angle.

So did any monos follow the multis lead in finding some work for under worked sparmakers?

I use a curved angle to "make a shelf" to put it on before sliding in. easy as

I saw a interesting set up last year. they ran a shock cord from inside the boom aft thru a exit block and then forward through the "down pipe" boom ring and clipped to the mast Spin pole ring, this was duplicated on the other side/boom ring.

When it came time to remove the pole they just clipped the appropriate side (shock cord) to the pole and released it from the mast ring and bang!... it was stowed.

launching was easy as they could release he tension on the shockcord with a rope and jamb cleat arrangement on the other end.

Sounds like the same system everyone was using on spinnaker dinghy's back in the '80's - Javs, Sunburst, Fireballs etc

What class/type of boat do you have it on?

Didn't see any, only 4 dnf's in the leaners.

Equilibrium was parked up in Mechanics Bay with the crew wondering how to get the top half of the mainsail down while the bottom half had stowed itself nicely. A couple of Stewarts did similar things to jibs either vertically or horizontally. Namu pulled the pin at the bottom mark beside us but I couldn't tell why.

Saw an elliot 12 have a similar issue with their main to equilibrium and one of the big beneteaus (maybe atamai?) lose their headsail.

We had a fun sail on high octane, were worried for a second when we came to drop the kite and one of the clew shackles unclipped itself, but managed to grab the other clew before it got away.

Fun day on the harbour.

Archived