Making Trapeze Lines

omamari

Hi all,

I'm back. After the success of my shrouds, and an awesome sail on the weekend - I've decided I need /want to make a single trap also.

My question is (1) how high should my handle be above the deck? I've read about 1 - 1.5 foot? I'm 6'4", would it make sense to do it a bit higher, say 2 foot? I've had a sit on the deck and that feels about right, but I've never trapped so I could be feeling for the wrong thing. My stays are 6m long - maybe there are few other boats out here with that length to compare their trap wire length to?

I'm going to make something like this http://www.murrays.com/01-1120.html . Sorry I couldn't get the image to work. Which seems to be the classic cat trap. Or should I do a rope handle / thin donut like the dinghys so I can adjust my handle height.

A may put an adjuster clam cleat on there at some point, but I think for now the rope stop adjustment should suffice.

Also, I'm running the shock cord through the front beam and back to a block at the side stay. (2) Is there any problem with having the block here, as the trap may get tangled with the stay? (3) Any clever ideas how to thread shock cord into a ~12mm hole and through a 1.5m beam?

Is the most common place to by this hardware through Fosters Ship Chandlery?

Apologies for the barrage of questions. Cheers for any advice.

Daniel

Back just before Noah, when sailing dinghies, we used to have the trapeze eye just off the side deck. They are more efficient if you are horizontal. The handle needs to be close to full arms length up, so you can easily reach it. Most, if not all our trapeze's were adjustable, probably 4-500 mm, using a jambing block....

trapeze eye just off the side deck
Ok, makes sense
handle needs to be close to full arms length up
That's what I needed to know, thanks!
trapeze's were adjustable, probably 4-500 mm
Good to know, that's quite a lot! So pretty much from the deck to the handle.

Is a jambing block one of these? CL253AN.jpg

Thanks island time.

Shoot down to Orakei hard stand in Okahu Bay and suss some of the trapeze powered dingys there, a fair few should be on display. Most of those boats are sailed by been there done that's so the set-ups will be pretty well tuned. So you should be able to see how to set them up and get a rough idea of heights/lengths.

I would expect it to be 100% pure good luck if a newbie bodged a set-up and got it pretty good the 1st time. So a few minutes, and maybe a nice bike ride (watch out you don't get mowed down by some dick in a 4 wheeled killer, like I did AGAIN last Friday), and you could have the right gear then just have to tune the lengths.

The gear is commonly available at most chandlers and most brands have what you need, which isn't that much really. That link IT posted shows it well. Don't forget to attach the shock cord, those wires will try to escape if unleashed :)

Archived