ETNZ's Boat Data System

Island Time

Who saw Campbell Live's piece on ETNZ last night. He spoke with the head electronics designer for ETNZ.

Really interesting piece on using plastic fibre optics for all the data connections. Not just for speed of transmission, but because it is totally waterproof, corrosion proof, light, and cheap! I reckon we just saw what will become the standard for interconnection of all instrumentation and datapoints (load cells etc).

A cool and useful innovation that etnz have made themselves and is their intellectual property. I bet there is some other stuff as well, but I reckon that we will see this relatively soon in production.

Who saw Campbell Live's piece on ETNZ last night. He spoke with the head electronics designer for ETNZ.

Really interesting piece on using plastic fibre optics for all the data connections. Not just for speed of transmission, but because it is totally waterproof, corrosion proof, light, and cheap! I reckon we just saw what will become the standard for interconnection of all instrumentation and datapoints (load cells etc).

A cool and useful innovation that etnz have made themselves and is their intellectual property. I bet there is some other stuff as well, but I reckon that we will see this relatively soon in production.

IT... are you John Campbell? Can't believe you fell for that PR spin / glorified advertising. Those thinners must be getting to you.

:D

I,ve been running fibre optic cable for years. So has most phone companies.

Transmitting anycomms with fibre is not new or that hard.

All, that Techno spin doctor has done, ten years after everybody else, is throw away his copper wire and replace it with fibre.

Some people have moved on from fibre to wireless. Taktix have albeit the reliability is naf.

I can't believe they took thus long to go to fibre.

Absolutely fineline that's it. Plastic fibre, not glass, no termination. I was using fibre in networks 20 years ago X, it's not new. This type of use is new. It's light, cheap, fast and reliable. No termination means way cheaper.

Wifi is NOT a replacement for copper or fibre, it is way to slow.

Didn't they have a data or electrical failure problem or both and used a lay day to fix the problem that cost them a race as well. But I'm unsure whether it was a water proofing problem or vibration problem.

Archived