Build your own autopilot?

Black Panther

Wow, these Aduino thingies are powerful little devices. I have only just come across them myself. Haven't played with one yet, but a guy I know is using one to sense temperature at various locations and then control a waste oil burner and where and how much heat goes to various places. I thought that was clever enough in itself. But these things are obviously more clever than I had thought.

In saying all that though, I am wondering how possible it would be to use a smart phone and have an app that would then control the AP and you simply connect your SmPh up and away you go. If it isn't possible yet, it surely can't be far away from being able to.

The good thing is, these alternative might work towards the industry having to drop the prices on a real McCoy AP, which for just the electronics side, I have always believed are far too expensive for what it must cost to produce them. Especially now days.

I have a few Ardunio devices doing a bit of smart monitoring and switching on the farms. However I have moved to Raspberry Pi's - they are far more powerful and configurable. Yes, you do need to do a bit of I2C breakout but that is catered for very well by commercial offerings ( sparkfun, as mentioned in the Arduino post, has several options ), and they are really much more capable than an Arduino for most things. They are, in essence, a small low power computer.

Archived