bare carbon

If you have bare carbon, a peel ply finish, that is going to live inside out of the weather what do you, or don't you, put over that in the way of further protection? Is anything needed or just leave it as is?

I'm thinking a coat of polyurethane maybe down in the 1/4 berths where someone may be touching it but otherwise leave it as is??

Not having ever worked with it, but I would be coating it with a clear coat of PU. Two reasons, 1: the Urathane is what wears over time and easy to recoat. The Epoxy is not. Urthane is harder wearing. Urathane gives some degree of UV protection and stops the epoxy from yellowing. Even below, over many years, the Epoxy can alter colour somewhat. You may have given up rocking in a boat and be rocking in a chair in an old folks home by then though.

OK, so that's three reasons.

I've used two part polyurethane varnish on bare carbon on the various outside poles I have. Barely lasts a season. Probably be fine below though. I'm thinking we've invented the new version of high maintenance plywood or teak, but in black!

I will have a nice lightish coloured ply next to the black, poly them up and it could look rather sexy.

I'll give it all a coat of something just in case someone gets close and reacts to the epoxy.

If one of the reasons for using carbon is to save weight, then I'm not sure why one would add the weight of a coating?

I have 25 year old carbon sheet countertops and they still look great - no scratches. Certainly glad they were never coated.

She's no lightweight flyer and never will be hence 2kg more of polyurethane is going to cost me less than having to put up with the nagging if someone reacts to the epoxy. But I still may just let them suffer, we'll see.

Interesting comment about your counter tops. In the latest (and now 4th) version of the galley I'm going to go with a carbon bench top. Using some nice 12K big weave carbon and the clear finish resin.

Archived