Survey/Pre-Purchase Inspections

Has anybody got any recommendations for inspectors in the Auckland & Tauranga areas (hulls- GRP) and mechanical? I have seen the Laurie Dawes/Nautilus list and recognise a few names - but your input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Ray Beale.

V. experienced boat builder / designer / surveyor.

Did a pre-purchase for us on a GRP keelboat, very thorough did a great job.

Ray Beale is good. Mike Menzies is also another well known & respected surveyor.

I have used both in the past and would recommend either. Both are Auckland based.

I have used Mike Menzies, he was excellent !

I have only heard good things about Ray Beale

I don't think you can go wrong with either

The one thing I would do is take the time to follow them around and listen to what they tell you, you will learn so much, every thing from mantance to how things are put together to common faults

You may want to think about getting a separate mechanical survey.

I don't think either Ray or Mike claim to be experts in this area. I used Ian Meikle from Meikle marine for my last yacht and his diligence ended up saving me the cost of a motor rebuild off the price of the vessel.

Cheers for the further thoughts...I'll definitely get a mech inspection too Farrari!...Have a wee bit of experience with a recalcitrant Bukh in a previous yacht but am far from an expert and am hoping a mechanical inspection with someone who is might reduce risk of repeating experience!

Archived