OceansWatch want a Skipper

Island Time

OceansWatch vacancies: Yacht Skipper and marine biologists

(Warning! this could be a life changing experience)

This year we shall have 2 (possibly 3) project yachts in the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, the 46’ double ender, Anna Rose and the 38’ Wharram, Tiki Catamaran, Anam Cara. One or two yachts will require a skipper. Both yachts will be prepared to NZ Category 1 safety standards. ETD New Zealand late May and return late November. An Immediate start is required for the skipper.

OceansWatch 1.jpg

The minimum qualification is RYA Yachtmaster, with ocean passage experience and 25,000nm as skipper. Good engineering and general boat maintenance skills are essential as you will be responsible for boat preparation and sailing in very remote areas, so must be able to rely on your own resources. Very good people skills are absolutely essential. An OceansWatch skipper needs to be very self aware and very good at empowering as opposed to telling crew what to do! Safety is paramount so your record must be impeccable. You will need recent First Aid qualifications and a PADI Open Water diver certification would be an advantage. We would expect the skipper to be keen and able to contribute to other areas of our work (see http://www.oceanswatch.org/#!get-involved/c1wdy) This opportunity might suit a couple if the partner has skills appropriate to OceansWatch work and is interested in volunteering.

OceansWatch2.jpg

We are a small charity with limited funding but can offer a stipend of NZ$200 per week and all food onboard. Please review the text and documents at our "Get involved" page on our website and fill in the 2 word documents, then send your application letter, forms and C.V. to chris@oceanswatch.org

We have taken on our core staff for the expedition, however there are a few volunteer positions available as part of the marine teams, please refer to website for more information.

"This experience with OW has been a huge eye opener for me on so many levels. I have learned so many things, and unlearned a bunch more, and I am infinitely grateful for all the lessons and experiences. I will forever remember this adventure with all of you, and can draw from it in so many aspects of my life. I have learned about personal space, about perseverance, about loving acceptance, about forgiveness. I have seen people and felt cultures I would have never encountered otherwise. I have learned languages and myths and played with so many cool little ocean creatures and island children. This has given me direction in life (or other directions) and has put every part of my being to the test. Good luck in the future, Charlotte Leger, 2014"

Contact Chris Bone 09 4344066 or 027 6212214 or email chris@oceanswatch.org

Archived