N2K devices not appearing on device list

Hi

Running a simple N2K network: DST800 sensor, Garmin GMI10 multi display and aGarmin GPSMAP421. Wind comes off Navman 3150, via 183.

GMI is happy displaying wind, via 183 connection etc.

However neither the GMI10 or GPSMAP 421 will show any devices in the 'device list' in the setup menus. I can see power on pins A and B at anywhere I look on the backbone, T junctions etc: this suggests all cables connectors are ok, there are termination plugs on end on backbone.

I'm expecting to see the DST800, GMI10 and GPSMAP ( these later 2 in each other's list) in the device list...but nothing appears.

Open to all gems of wisdom.

Thanks

Several possibilities come to mind. If your devices are NMEA2000 CERTIFIED (ie not just have NMEA2000 ports) then they should list all available devices. However, to do this, they may need updated firmware. So check with Garmin on that. Next is are all the devices on a drop lead from a T or are some on the Bus itself with an in and out port? The NMEA 2000 standard does not support bus connections directly, although some manufacturers do (like Navico/B&G with the Triton instruments).

I have seen some products that wont list the devices, yet when I connect to the bus with an Actisense PC connection, they are there and working fine. This is a software issue with the devices concerned.

A diagram of your system would be good to avoid misunderstandings if you want anything further.

I Just had a quick look - very likely a firmware issue - the GMI10 should be on version 3.70 - free download from here http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4819

The  GPSMAP421 should be 2015.0706 if I have the right model - check the model number on the label carefully. Updates here http://www8.garmin.com/support/software/marine.html

So, do the updates then try again. Let us know how you get on. If you need help with the updates, send me a PM or an email, matt@neptunes-gear.com

Good luck,

Matt 

Returned to the boat today, copies of all the technical data sheets, SDcards loaded with the latest software etc. Powered up the system and the MFD starts beeping, low water alarm !.

Surprise surprise the whole thing is working; it would appear the N2K fairy visited .....

OK, in that case, take all the T connectors and teminators off, use some electrical grease on every connector, and put it back together, ensuring the connectors are firmly tightened. Dodgy connector somewhere...or possibly unstable power supply. Don't forget the fuse in the NMEA power lead...