Gearbox oil level

Guest 000

More received from Martin Harris at PRM-Newgate.

I wrote him along the lines of '350mm oil instead of 560mm? Really?

His reply:

'One of our competitors run a similar model gearbox with only 0.2 litres. The way the gearbox is inclined, the forward gear train which the majority of work is being carried out will be well lubricated. The reverse which seldom carries out much work will see less lubrication.'

I should point out that in the PRM the ahead gear is at the back of the box and the astern at the front. I wonder who the competitor is?

the small hurth zf10m, up to 52hp depending on duty

takes 420ml

1. Which Fluid? The ZF/Hurth Workshop Manual indicates that automatic transmission fluid or ATF is to be used in these mechanical gears. ATF, commonly known as Dextron II or III, is far preferable to the thicker SAE 90 hydraulic gear oil. However, given that these small gears are essentially oil cooled and that they contain very little fluid, we strongly recommend that you upgrade to Red Line synthetic ATF or, better, our Foley Hytork Fluid. Both will allow the transmission to run cooler. Cool transmissions are happy transmissions because heat is the enemy of all marine gears.

http://www.foleyengines.com/resources/tech-tips/hurth-marine-transmissions-ins-and-outs-basic-service

the smallest hurth shown above is .32 US quarts or 300ml