Should I be Concerned?

The pencil anode in the engine broke off the nut and is stuck in there. No way to extract. I'm guessing it will slowly wear away, at what time I will replace it. Can't push a new one in behind it.

Any thoughts Anyone?

first I knew mine had gone was when my dripless shaft seal started making a noise(heating up)disconnected water from pump etc to find bits of zinc, 2nd zinc same as yours(thought i would check)managed to push,gentle tap,a nail in and removed,onto number 3 now,will check next year??is it really needed as zinc on shaft??  

Definitely on the shaft and in engine. They both wear out to some degree each year. Engine anode at least half gone and shaft possibly a quarter .

Thanks for the heads up. I'll bear it in mind and try and get the old bit out. Don't want anything floating around in the engine water jacket.

Find a way to extract it.  If there is no electrical connection to the bronze/cast iron, it will not function and your engine may rot away from the inside out.  Also, the zinc will oxidize, expanding, rather than shrinking the diameter.  Be sure you use zincs with a good 3-4mm clearance diametrically (2mm each side) to compensate for oxidation.

Don't mess around on the zincs.  When I buy zincs, I buy enough to replace them all TWICE, so that if they wear out prematurely while I'm not where I can replace them...well, you know.