Sailing Chart Plotter and tiller pilot.

I'm thinking of my next navigation kit purchase, and wanting some opinions here. 

I'm thinking of a chart plotter of 150-200mm screen optimised for sailing boats. I'm not interested in fishing, and so many seem to be aimed at that. 

I'm currently running Navionics, which I'm happy with, on other devices. But would look at options. It would be nice to have lay lines etc.

Also, I'm wondering if others have integrated their tiller pilot with their chart plotter successfully? Removed are outrageously expensive on both major brands, and so thinking of options... 

10m catamaran, so not needing big gear here.

What have you liked or not liked? 

Tim, it's pretty easy to interface a plotter and tiller pilot. Provided the tillerpilot has an interface - some don't.

The cheapest way I know for a properly interfaced system would be a vulcan5" at about $1k, and a TP22 Simrad pilot also about 1 k. Better would be the 7" about $300 more.

Or use a PC, which you've likely already got ( free), opencpn (free), Linz charts for NZ (free) and a tiller pilot with nmea input. ( like the tp22 above, or maybe whatever you have now?)

So, minimum cost could be nothing, or about 1k if you need a new pilot.

Effectiveness of this setup could vary depending on capability of the pilot and its heading sensor. A really good heading sensor makes a huge difference - also about $1k.

Steering to wind angles is very possible depending on existing instruments and their capability, as well as the tiller pilot selected.

Happy to discuss your setup if you'd like to give me a call.

Cheers

Matt