Sailmaker turned Publican

Guest Brucey

Guest Brucey

In one of the Southern papers today I read with interest that Rodders has given up sailmaking and taken up pouring beer?

aaArticle rank 24 Aug 2010 The Dominion Post Bankrupt businessman helps set up a new bar THE bankrupt Wellington businessman Stewart Thwaites has been involved in the establishment of a new pub on Lambton Quay.

Beer flowing again: Keenan’s Bar has opened on Lambton Quay premises which have been untenanted since the Dog & Bone bar closed two years ago.

Keenan’s Bar opened last week at 126 Lambton Quay in premises that have been vacant since the Dog & Bone Bar closed two years ago. It had previously operated as the Paris bar and restaurant.

A four-year lease has been taken on the three-level bar by Auckland businessman and sailmaker Rodney Keenan.

Mr Keenan, who is also planning to open a new bar on the corner of Willeston and Victoria streets, said Mr Thwaites, who was previously involved with the Loaded Hog on Wellington’s waterfront, had suggested the investment and ‘‘helped out with all the ins and out of how to make it work’’.

Mr Thwaites, a long-time customer from the days when he was racing yachts, told him about the opportunity and helped with the setup.

Mr Keenan was not prepared to disclose lease details – it was not cheap but ‘‘the accountant said it worked and I hope he’s right’’.

The landlord had helped by offering a rent holiday, but that only really covered time to complete the $300,000 fitout.

Mr Thwaites, who in 2007 admitted 92 tax charges involving more than $1.3 million, said he did not want to talk to The Dominion Post.

Jones Lang LaSalle’s commercial sales and leasing broker, Hadleigh Petherick, secured the lease deal ahead of other agents who have had the premises listed on their books for the past two years.

He said the bar should do well and was well-placed to draw after-work patrons and crowds after big events at the Westpac Stadium.

‘‘The new operator understands the potential of the premises. Amazingly, the three-storey, 800-squaremetre bar sat vacant for over two years,’’ Mr Petherick said.

Interesting partnership. Least they can share T shirts

Keenan’s Bar opened last week at 126 Lambton Quay in premises that have been vacant since the Dog & Bone Bar closed two years ago. It had previously operated as the Paris bar and restaurant.

A four-year lease has been taken on the three-level bar by Auckland businessman and sailmaker Rodney Keenan.

Hey Wal, now we both know why it wasn't a great idea to hurl things at the shop boy...........

Guest Brucey
I figure I will be 65 in 29 years so maybe then I can retire if all is well!

Didnt know if you were going to run it or just front it, so you still in Auckland. Suggest that while your bar mentor will b great for marketing, do the GST returns your self.

Good luck will be a good spot for the sevens I expect.

Archived