Catamaran sailing in gale- Video

Here is a video of a Catana 582 sailing in gale conditions in the Southern ocean. It's interesting to see the sea conditions, the long breaking seas and the boat speed. Note around the 5 min mark the footage taken inside the main cabin and what the crew is going through.

Scott

Don't let AA see it.

Scott, with the wind aft of the beam I preferred to drop the main and go with headsails only, what was your reassoning for going the other way around.?

Got to say this is one LOL forum.

So, why only a triple reef main, well I had some stay sail out, we caught a fish, rolled it in and ended up just leaving it that way as we were still up to speed. I guess our next step in reefing would be to drop the main and roll out some stay sail. Why not just put out some jib and cruise downwind? Well you saw the photos of what happened to Gary, and me, and the guy before us.

Gotta love boat jobs.

Scott

Hi Scott,

it all happened not only to you and me and the guy behind me ( Daniel) but also the guy behind Daniel.

Problems all started when the carbon mast was replaced with the aluminium tree trunk.

Cheers..Gary

yep...gotta love boats!!.

Ok, I was more thinking of the comfort level and weather the bridgedeck would take a beating, didn't expect photos of heavy duty steel cable breaking that must have been massive loads to do that.

Something tells me there is more to this story. :shock:

Archived