Wha's your level of interest

Monos, cats, tris ... doesn't matter to me. My interest is hovering somewhere slightly below "couldn't give a crap". It just seems to be a bunch of pointless arguments and bugger all to do with sailing as I experience it.

Sad, I know, but there ya have it.

When the museum first opened they had a proa in the water that looked very much like the one in squids photo except memory makes me think it was much larger. It was planned to go out sailing on her at one time, not sure why we were not allowed to sail her, we even had someone that had sailed her before and spoke very highly of speed and ease to sail. this was in 1995 I think.

Correct, we were given very strict conditions in which we could take her for a blat, they never came together. There was a concern that as that one, which is from Kiribati, had been layed up for a while it needed time afloat to get back to full waterproof and tighten up. They weren't keen on leaving it floating. Shame really as it would have looked good sailing and surprised many just to how quick a coconut tree or 3 can move.

The Museum one is a ocean goer and a bit larger than the usual coastal ones which tend to be more just like the one in the pic above. By 'coastal' that does mean they often trip between the islands which could be 100-300nm apart.

Archived