Jordan Series Drogue in action - Cape Horn

https://lisablairsailstheworld.com/blog/2017/3/14/cape-horn

"Back on deck I made my way to the back of the boat to deploy the series drogue.  I had pre-prepared it for this storm so all I needed to do was undo the bag, check all lines were clear and drop the sinker (weighted end) off the back of the boat and let it pull its self out.  The minute it was out there was a remarkable difference in the boat and how we were sitting to the swell.  A series drogue is a length of line that has over a hundred different little cones or mini parachutes.  The Drogue is set on a bridle at the back of the boat, as the waves shove the boat off course the bridle becomes tight on that side applying pressure to the back corner of the boat and pulls it straight again.  The little parachutes help to slow the boat down and pull against the waves that are trying to shove you forward. 

The boat was no longer flying out of control down 8 meter plus waves but calmly riding up and over them. The only drawback was that quite a few waves would flood the cockpit burying me in a meter of water for a minute. "