Groupama

Yeah it was a great race, we ended up coming 3rd just behind the chairman and the wasted away.

We realised on the first night that the stove didnt work, the knobs had seized and we snapped them off trying to turn it on so we did a very dodgy job of conecting the element directly to the bottle witha G clamp to gegulate the flow (it was very 'Kiwi' the frenchies said), this worked once only and we almost blew up the boat on the second attempt filling it up with gas while I had a lit match in my hand(!) so decided to live on peanuts and biscuts for the rest of the 4 day trip and live to tell the story.

we didnt have a good first half of the race, got behind on the beat to the southern tip of the island while we tried to find the best upwind VMG for the boat. then blew out the big masthead kite in 10kts of wind, it was very old and the seams were not sewn so kept coming apart, we then had to sail for 250nm with the fractional kite only so the other boats got away a bit.

As the breeze built we pushed real hard with all hands on deck and gained alot at the bottom .Had an epic kite ride into the northern end hitting a top speed of 19.79kts (by me!) but surfing to 18kts all the time. Got some good video footage so will post it sometime. Broke the brace block which hit richie (rattle n rum) right in the guts, lucky he was wearing a jacket so didnt get to hurt. scary thou as it would have done some damage if it had got him in the head, these reality checks give you a good idea of how bad sh*t can go.. The first part of the beat back was windy, up to 30kts but flatish water right in against the reef by tacking into every little bay, some scary moments 2 boat lengths from MASSIVE breaking waves. The breeze slowly lightened and we ended up in 7-10kts dead beat so were rock hopping to get out of the chop. there were some big holes and we could see the leaders on the horizon ahead of us so we kept focused and worked hard to slowly gain on them, using the #4 as a drifter/flopper to gain in the regular parkups. On the last day we finally caught up to them and had an epic race with 3 other boats, positive touch, the chairman and the wasted away again. the wind picked up to 15-20 for the last 50nm beat and the others were just a bit quicker uphill and the local knowlege once inside the lagoon helped them to just beat us but we managed to hold out the positive touch to get a 3rd place. Also beat a sydney 38 and smoked the aussies so we were very happy with the result. The atmostphere here is amazing, when we finished at 7pm in the dark there were about 10 boats filled with people hooting and yelling, we felt like heroes.

thanks to our sponsor Ramada Plaza who have given us (and the aussies) a mint 3 bedroom apartment each.

About to head to the club for (another) party, they have a live band tonight should be good.

they sure do things properly here and the organisation and general feel here is probably the best I have ever seen at any regatta.

Archived