ETNZ - Should they start hiring

Check the video on the home page , then tell me are they better off trying to teach the existing team to sail multis, or sack a few and go hire some multi designers/builders/sailors?

After all they are getting a bit long in the tooth right? :lol:

They should start hiring!! Starting with excitable 3rd year mechanical engineering students, who were interested in the old Yacht Research Unit (defunct ish due to lack of action in AC), then offer those same students a summer research internship along side the designers. They should also note that the student has to get 800 hours of work experience, and would do them roughly for free. :thumbup:

The only kiwi guys with hard wing experience that I know of all work for BMW/Oracle.

The multihull guys here would all love to assist, but I very much doubt there will be any phone calls. (021 0242 1830 Mr Dalton to prove me wrong)

Below par - That is exactly the type of talk that should get you hired. :)

I'd say that most of the skills are transferable in TNZ, and the team dynamic is still going to give them a headstart.

Did Spithall have much multi experience before dogzilla?

The money appears to be a more pressing issue.

But as the Spanish ambassador said at the RPNYC opening day, "A TNZ yacht hull is a pretty desirable billboard".

It is roughly the idea to ask the question after exams.. Worst case is a no, and i have to have 4 months of summer holidays 8)

Squid, im not sure how many NZ people have the experience. I think most of the design is for the wing (there is another thread around if they need help building the hulls :wink: ). So i would start asking people like Gin Seok Song and Robert Graham for input (pretty much the kings of aspect ratio compromises, designers for Gin Paragliding/Kitesurfing wings) and I would be cautious about getting the sail design companys to involved. Alinghis main was v interesting, you could see it trying to mimic the wing almost exactly (in terms of twisting of different sections etc) but i dont know how much is transferable?

They have equipment and experience, but is that a good thing..?

And i would guess that the C-Class guys have already recieved a phone call.

So they're in - that's great news! Do I take it from the press release that there are now 2 AC45's on the water? If so I hope they're both showing up for the BMW regatta tomorrow!

Squid, im not sure how many NZ people have the experience

How many experienced 12 meter sailors were in NZ prior to KZ7?

How much yacht racing experience did the canoe dudes have when they jumped aboard that AC boat?

How much ocean maxi experiance did many of the crews had when they jumped abaord with Pete or Dalts?

If picking 'experience' is the key then that would suggest feck all of the current team would be signed up again and management would be now hunting SD, Tim, Samin and that lot.

It's a boat, they all work pretty much the same way. A good bunch of dudes can make any boat go quick pretty quickly.

There is a AC 45ft cat regatta here in 2 months odd. Hope there is lots of crashes and f*ck-ups, that'll make it more interesting for Mr & Mrs Rangi Waikato.

I actually read somewhere recently that the hoped for audience is Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs, not sailors. Interesting, firat time I think someone has said it out loud. Same goes for VOR in my book.

So they're in - that's great news! Do I take it from the press release that there are now 2 AC45's on the water? If so I hope they're both showing up for the BMW regatta tomorrow!

Today:

4 boats on the water and the Artemis boat on the hard

2 x Oracle - 1 white mast, one black mast

1 x TNZ

1 x AC-45 (the first boat)

Archived