Ministers Response

Might be of interest to some?

I am advised that the Ministry of Transport has investigated compulsory boat registration and boat licence endorsements for recreational craft on several occasions. If implemented, a registration scheme for all powered boats would likely affect over 200,000 recreational boat users.

A registration or skipper licencing scheme would be difficult to maintain and costly to enforce, as it would require significant investment in establishing and maintaining a national database and corresponding enforcement capability. While such a scheme might make it easier to identify people that disregard boating rules, the resources simply do not exist to enforce boating rules in the way that is possible with road users. National-level boating safety efforts therefore focus on the behaviours known to play a part in boating fatalities, particularly lifejacket use, weather awareness and the carriage of effective means of communications.

In addition to national measures, local navigation safety bylaws apply in regions throughout the country. This reflects that regional councils are best placed to manage boating in waters within their jurisdictions. The Northland Regional Council Navigation Safety Bylaw regulates the operation of vessels operating in estuaries, inlets, harbours and along the Northland coast. Those operating requirements include speed, wake effect and collision prevention rules. I suggest you draw your concerns over boating behaviour at Whangaroa Harbour to the attention of the Northland Regional Council. 

Thank you again for writing and I hope this provides some greater context around the existing regime.

Nāku noa, nā

Hon Julie Anne Genter

Associate Minister of Transport

I wasn't aware there was a fatality in Whangaroa.

Must have been a really bad smash.

How many people were injured?

Would have to be really bad to divert resources away from what is the carnage on our roads...