Maintenance of wooden mast and boom

Hi guys, I have just purchased a Junior Cherub, it has a wooden mast and boom, never had to deal with wooden parts before, they look like they are in average to good condition. What is the best way to keep them in one piece?

Cheers

These guys did an article in Boating NZ on 'bringing back the bling' of varnished look woods

http://www.uroxsys.co.nz/

I know nothing about them, not connected in any way, but I would be interested to know how good it actually is, and since they've only done jobs on super yachts, how much it costs...

Otherwise the standard method is varnish / sand / varnish and repeat until the summer is over...

Is this some classic you want to have looking immacculate? If not, then Sikens Cetol is the best to coat with. It is not varnish. You don't have the Gloss finish and you don't see the depth of grain. But there is nothing better for UV protection. I have tried about everything out there and the best long term results I have had is Sikens.

Is this some classic you want to have looking immacculate? If not, then Sikens Cetol is the best to coat with. It is not varnish. You don't have the Gloss finish and you don't see the depth of grain. But there is nothing better for UV protection. I have tried about everything out there and the best long term results I have had is Sikens.

Agreed, used it and it really lasts well.

Another option is a soft single pot varnish (goldspar) that is easy to repair, not as good as Cetol with regards to UV but depends on if the spar is going to be outside all the time as to how important it is to you

Archived