The Tongue Job

bushman

yip your on the money with your comments regarding needing a downwind flyer or uphill crasher - i guess my thought was that building an extreme boat to beat up on div 2 caravans instead of racing like boats (skinny lightweight canters) is like taking candy from a baby

i would have thought racing the expensive "like" boats with your homebuilt lighweight flyer would be an achievement - not flogging 20 year old caravans that have thier own very close racing

example - in most conditions elliott 9mss will do the same speed uphill as most 1050's 1066 Y11mod but turn a corner and they are gone so they are much faster around a course and therefore should not be playing with div 2 boats - and they arent, niether should you.

tauranga was a lottery

i just think you are playing in the wrong div and obviously the handicappers have seen that although .920 seems a little high

Why the sail size reduction with new rig??

Yeah thats what IRC does.

IMS did the same thing.. I won the Coastal on IMS a few years ago in a boat called Sunday Sun. She is a 31 ft. Warwick built from wood. Enjoyed up-hill more than down. Very average boat..

She was allways well prepared and obviously sailed well enough on the day.

That was back when IMS was at its strongest in NZ. The Air New Zealand regattas were IMS only and attracted boats from overseas. IRC will never do that here.

By the way, I use the word 'average' as a comparrison to extreme. ( just in case anyone is offended ) I have owned a couple of average boats myself. Now I prefer the risk of going fast.

Hey Sharpie

Glad you think 920 is a bit high too. Appreciate the coment.

The Tauranga race might have been a lottery to some but in our case we had some very good close racing with Force11 and Frenzy in sight most of the time. We experienced the same conditions as them through the entire race. Obviously they did it better than us. The point I make here is that we ( the Three of us ) should be on a similar handicap.

The race would be classed as a light wind race and they were quicker. If it had been on the wind all the way in more breeze and a chop then again they would beat us on line ( or the owners might shoot themselves if they didnt ). The only time we will beat them is in a race like the Coastal where we were plaining while others were not. And what is wrong with that ?

Further, yeah it is a good feeling knowing what we have created. If you need some modifications to your boat give me a call.

Hey Sharpie

What boat do you sail on

If it is the one I think it is I wouldnt complain too much about other boat handicaps. :wave:

i sail on several and have owned myself, but you are missing the point

the point is you should have been sailing against similar boats - canters, in another division, where they all face the same breeze upwind or down

i am interested however if i was to commision you to build a cheap canter what would it cost? (30 foot with carbon rig) - not to iRC either no point in slowing down if you want a sled

PM me if you dont want this splatted all over here

I thought you might own Pork Chop

As far as the division thing goes, I would be happy to be in Div one in the coastal but not on 920. Not sure off hand if 870 puts us in Div one but that is where I reackon she fits.

These little canters have created a lot of discussion which is not a bad thing. They are obviously a problem for the PHRF committee too.

If we pissed a few people off in Div 2, just imagine how the Div 1 boys feel about the canting 30's.

Unfortuneately or fortuneately which ever side of the fence you are on, both divisions are not restricted to what you refer to as caravans.

As far as our PHRF goes, I am over it. I have asked for a review and a couple of rule explanations regarding the new revalidation forms. Thats it.

About your canter. Happy to knock up a hull and decks for you but suggest it might be cheaper to buy Tongue Twister. I hear Orbit is going to Aussie. $170ooo I think. You can have TT for half that ( new carbon rig incl. ) :thumbup: Get yourself a syndicate together.

I own Pork Chop

Yes my PHRF over last two years has been light for the coastal stuff. I asked for it to go up two years ago and it was put up, and again a year ago. I have put in another cert prior to winter series starting requesting a review and wanting around .840 which puts me with the other 1050s.

TNZ obliged and I am now .840.

The reason my shorthanded handicap is lower is because the boat is extremely hard to manage two handed. Yes we won the first race last year in extremely light conditions, but the other 8 or 9 2 handed races I have done over the years we have come last, or close to last.

I'm probably one of the few people who has ever asked for my handicap to increase, on more than one occasion. I have done this as I have upgraded bits o the boat with jonny go faster gear.

In regards to this thread, I tend to agree with what Sharpie is saying, this thread was started to tongue yer boats butt cheeks about how you smashed over the B division (Which was also published before the start somewhere)..it reads a bit funny when in one sentence someone says the handicap should reflect all points of sail, but then in another that the boat wouldnt come off the trailer if it was upwind. For someone like me who has put his heart and soul into getting his boat competitive to race with like minded boats, it’s hard to quantify the rationale in those three statements

As far as these downwind flyers go, I think they are awesome... they're new on the scene and at the moment I think everyone (esp the handicappers) is trying to figure them out. And that may take a few years, or it may never take off as more boats get poached overseas.time.. will tell…Personally I hope they hang around a few more are built…and if Sharpie is keen on one, more the better, it means, god willing, that I wont have to see his ugly face on the race course

Cheers

Tomo

Pork Chop !

Well I wish my Fishing skills were as good with bait in the water :P

You are not the only one who has suggested your own handicap was too low. I did the same thing with a boat I hotted up called Thirsty Work. The PHRF committee put it up accordingly.

Some of the stuff you are quoting regarding " boat not taken off the trailer" was taken from a press release I think. Shouldnt take too much notice of that though we do joke about the ability to choose wether we start or not. Obviously not starting a race which may not be suited would be detrimental to our handicap so we are not too serious about that as was evident in the Tauranga race. We also joke about our delivery trips doing 90k's to windward.

Good concept though. :thumbup:

Sharpie

Boat is back in Kerikeri.

Welcome to come for a sail if you are ever up here.

Havnt put rig back in yet after Tauranga but will take care of that on Sunday as I think we might do a rum race.

im up in whangavagas this weekend and may go to kerikeri for a blat saturday if your around (now that im alowed back on the road! haha)

Pm me your number i would be keen to have a closer look - part of a medium term plan

hey mark, can i trade your old alloy rig in for your new carbon one?

tommy i'll come on the 2 handed races with you, i dont mind coming last :D

OK here is the deal for you.

Yeah I will trade the old mast back for the new carbon one.

Goes like this.... You give me the old mast pluss $90ooo and I will give you the new one.{ even chuck in a boat with it ( and a trailer ) Now what could be fairer than that :thumbup:

Not a problem.

Change of ownership and possession on settlement but dont worry we will look after it for you free of charge. Just make sure you keep the trailer registered and of course renew our PHRF every year too.

Not a problem.

Change of ownership and possession on settlement but dont worry we will look after it for you free of charge. Just make sure you keep the trailer registered and of course renew our PHRF every year too.

:lol: Make sure the rig is well insured if JH is going out on it!

hey beau .... could have a new project for you .... there is an old sabre 20 up the drive that could be hotted up , you could put two floppy keels on this one .... think about it two floppy things to play with ..mmmmmmmmm :think:

opps :oops: sorry beau i have just let your go fast boat secret out..... the crew just want to get there in a hurry to get off every time :lol:

Archived