inexperienced crew - where to start?

Hi,

I'm relatively new to sailing, but already have some cruising experience. Did the RYA comp-crew but still definitely lack the a lot of real-life experience. What is the best way to get it? Any direct pointers will be greatly appreciated :D I'm keen, willing to learn and work my way through :D

kind regards

I'm keen, willing to learn and work my way through

That's a great start right there. The best way to learn is to get out and do it. Offer your services as crew and go sailing on several different boats. You'll learn things every time you go sailing and you'll learn different stuff from different people .... even in some cases what not to do.

Be keen, be reliable, be willing to learn and ready to do some work and you'll find you're well ahead of at least 75% of the crew potential out there.

Get some racing under your belt (rum races, weekend races, etc) and see if you can get yourself a crew position for a longer race (White Island, Coastal Classic, etc). If ocean sailing interests you there are quite a few opportunities to do passages from NZ to Tonga, Fiji, New Cal, etc in May at the end of the tropical cyclone season. Oct/Nov is the time to get passages south to NZ at the start of the cyclone season ...... plenty of boats look for keen reliable crew members who are willing to pull their weight and learn.

Post an add in the crew find section here at Crew.org.nz and stand by.

Archived