stand up mooring bouys

ex TL systems

my friend is looking at getting a stand up mooring bouy on a swing mooring , i have heard that there has been some problems with ropes chaffing when barnacles, etc have grown in the tube that the rope passes thru, and that at least one boat broke free because of this, any one know more.

More chance of line chaffing over the bow roller I think. We have had them on all the Club moorings (60+) here and never had a problem. The club has them cleaned at the begging of each season, which is good practice for any mooring owner.

Well there is always an exception. It would be silly of me saying it can't happen, but I do find it hard to believe. Rope if pretty tuff stuff and would crunch mussel shell up pretty quick. I imagine it would have to be a line that simply never got cleaned in its life and eventually, it wore it's way through. We have lots of Mussel down here ion Marlborough of course and some people just wait for the two or three year inspection, with never having cleaned the mooring line in between, yet still seem to get away with it. The club cleans the line anually mainly because none of us can lift the farm growing on the line.

my friend is looking at getting a stand up mooring bouy on a swing mooring , i have heard that there has been some problems with ropes chaffing when barnacles, etc have grown in the tube that the rope passes thru, and that at least one boat broke free because of this, any one know more.

More than one and knot just from pissed off sealife. Rope damage and issues are common with one sort of buoy depending on how it's set-up and checked.

They can be perfectly fine but must be installed just right. Add $6-700 but it's usually more. Buoy, new rope to get 32mm (99% of the mooring dudes now won't piss around with smaller), extra swivel, fitting which is usually done at inspection time so add usual inspection costs as well.

Archived