Watch Out For That Boom

SloopJohnB

From Daily Sail.

A study from Rhode Island Hospital highlights that the sport isn't always smooth sailing. The study was published recently in the journal Wilderness and Environmental Medicine.

Through an on-line survey completed by sailors, researchers at Rhode Island Hospital have pieced together a report of the injuries that occur on two types of boats - dinghies (small boats with crews of one or two) and keel boats (larger boats like those used in the America's Cup races with a crew of up to 16).

With a total of 1860 respondents, there were a total of 1715 injuries reported, with 79 percent of the sailors reporting at least one injury in the prior 12 months.

The study, led by emergency medicine physician Andrew Nathanson, MD, of Rhode Island Hospital, found the most common causes of the injuries were trips and falls, being hit by an object, or being caught in the lines.

Nathanson says, "What is most alarming about this survey is the fact that only 30 percent of the sailors who responded reported wearing a life jacket. According to the United States Coast Guard, two thirds of recreational boating deaths are caused by drowning. Lifejacket use rates can be increased not only by education but also by improving the aesthetics and comfort of jackets, and by enforcing use at regattas and sailing schools."

http://www.rhodeislandhospital.org/rih/ ... php?p=1055

Here comes a rant.

After I posted a photo taken on the recent delivery to Brisbane I got a (slightly tongue in cheek) email asking why we weren't wearing lifejackets.

My immediate response was "the same reason I don't wear a crash helmet driving my car."

Something like 70% of people who drown aren't wearing lifejakets (30% are!!!!). But also a statistically ireelevant number of those drowning were from sailboats over say 10m. So it really isn't a big risk on a "big" boat not to be wearing a liflejacket. We had them aboard, with harnesses, and before leaving I did the speech for the crew (fall over and you will most assuredly drown works well), but on a sunny day with 10-15kn winds in warm water with 3 competent sailors on deck on a boat where you would literally have to launch youerself at the side of the boat 10 feet away to fall over I didn't consider them necessary.

Even the article quoted was talking about injuries, not drowning, but then raves on about lifejackets. Maybe the injury was a bruised finger, a rope burn................................

Shut up and leave me alone!!!!!!!

I think that as of a couple of years ago RADIO model yachting is now classified as a 'dangerous' sport (or whatever the category is called) in NZ by OSH. I'm told it was after one of the guys slipped and twisted his ankle during one of the model yacht regattas at Coromandel. :roll:

Last time I split my head open on an MRX (got bumped in a tack and stood up) my wife just looked at the mess and said - "How long have you been sailing for? Hasn't there always been a boom?"

We put harnesses on after dark and when it is windy - coastal and ocean. Crew are encouraged to own their own harness (with PFD). I also tuck a little strobe into my wet weather jacket.

Touch wood haven't left a boat yet - Mike K is the expert at that.

Archived