Stolen autopilot

I've had my autopilot and one of the (brand new) blocks stolen from my boat just before Christmas. Today I've discovered that somebody has taken off one of the portholes at the back of the boat. The boat is moored at Shoal Bay. Anyone with similar issues? Is it worth reporting? To who?

Always worth reporting. It may not help, but sometimes when someone is investigated for something else, a cop might remember "hey we had a report about something like this" and the can piece together a bigger picture to nail someone on.

Sorry to hear about that. Boats are certainly very vonurable.

Agree with Wheels that it's always worth reporting. Saves the need for those regular photo/stories in the local paper in a few months' time: "Police have uncovered what they describe as an Aladdin's Cave of stolen property and are asking for the owners to come forward."

Presumably the autohelm had a serial number that you might still have on the instruction manual/warranty? I have also heard of autohelms turning up at Cash Converters (not saying they were necessarily stolen but that's another avenue that you might want to shut down).

Suspect the police maritime unit might be your best bet for reporting it.

Removing a porthole is an eye-opener - not what I would have thought is a quick in-and-out job.

Thanks Murky, I'll report it today.

I'd say the thief was prepared and it wasn't an "oportunity" job: the lock was cut but the padlock was open (as always).

Archived