Change of scenery for Auckland dinghy sailors

Zoe

Thought I'd post this... the Adventure Picnic and Regatta will be lots of fun.

French Bay Yacht Club in Titirangi is only about 20 minutes from the CBD (okay, 25 on a bad day) but it offers absolutely terrific sailing on the Manukau Harbour, and it has an excellent social sailing calendar including adventure picnics and casual sailing.

Upcoming events are:

Saturday 5 February

Adult Learn to Sail starting at 9am

Sunday 6 February

Learn to Sail, coaching and social sailing or adult racing – from 9.30am

Sunday 13th February

Adventure sail to Cornwallis

Game for an adventure? Pack a picnic lunch and join us for a sail to gorgeous Cornwallis Beach. Supporters can meet us at the Beach (park in the Firebreak Road). Be rigged and ready to sail by 8.30am, and dress for the conditions as the sail home can be a long one.. All welcome. (If in doubt due to bad weather, please check http://www.frenchbay.org.nz)

Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th

French Bay Yacht Club Regatta, and Learn to Sail – from 9am both days. An open handicap fleet for senior boats which will potentially include Lasers Jolly, Starling, Optis, and Topaz boats, amongst others.

O-Day second edition

At the first FBYC Open Day around 100 people got out on the water. The second one will take place on Sunday 13 March 13 at 2pm.

http://www.frenchbay.org.nz - sign up for our newsgroup!

FBYC poster graphic.jpg

What were the conditions like for your sail Zoe?

Hope you got a good turn out.

I used to live in Titirangi when I was in Auckland and would defintely have been a starter if I was still up there.

Great to see these grass roots clubs chugging along strongly.

Hey Cam, sorry for the delayed reply, we had such a good day. Fairly light but that's ideal for the young uns in the fleet, and we timed it so that the tide took us to Cornwallis and home again. I had an awesome time myself - so good to be sailing again.

Then last weekend we had 34 boats at our annual regatta, right across the spectrum.

I have to say the Manukau has put on some amazing conditions for us this year - really consistent, nice breezes. Starting light early in the day and building in early afternoon with a stiff sea breeze, day after day. And it's right at the bottom of my garden

The mighty manukau sounds good Zoe. I have discovered what you have in recent years, in a return to the grass roots side of the sport and the sheer fun factor involved. Also small boat sailing fits in (sometimes anyway) with having little ones at home, esp if you are close enough to a local club so there is no commuting time involved. Zero commuting time in your case!

Took oldest daughter (6) out in the club sunburst a few sundays ago. A carefully chosen light warm day. She had no interest in going at all until her friend said he wanted to go in the boat, then she was very keen all of a sudden. She even did what I asked, when she felt like it. Most of all she loved it. Came back beaming. Or was that me, can't remember, a happy day tho.

When I see how intiimdated some of the Learn to sail kids can be, I do wonder sometimes if a few trips in a sunnie might help demonstrate some of the basic ideas involved.

Yes I take my four year old quite a bit. It's just about making it fun for them at this age.

I'm certainly enjoying it, for all the reasons you have said!

Archived