Lombardini Marsden Cove Route 66 Yacht race - Friday 4 March

Richmond

maybe it was the leader in the fleet......can now see another 3 yeachts coming by. can't quite pick them out, maybe pawn broker, if so ..they are making good time. an hour and a quarter to milford from westhaven is great.

anyone know how many pulled out of the race - we gave up just past Kawau with the ETA heading into Saturday afternoon! (crew not happy about missing the breakfast!)

We (Takahoa) pulled out just north of Kawau. Pott Black aslo pulled out around the same time and also spotted Ranganui & Nevenka in at Kawau. No results posted anywhere yet that I can find.

Ah so we were smart not even leaving th office then on mercenary... We just went straight to the pub instead! Got a text from the boys on Erazor who finished just after 7am, soaking wet... Sounded fun...

1st Azure

2nd Transformer

3rd Pretty Woman

1st Div B

Echelon

Long race but not as bad as it sounded. Almost laid through from Flat Rk with just a few digs out around Rodney & Mangawhai. Number 1 gear all the way and no rain from Kawau till about 0630 and we were well finished by then.

Good haul of prizes for those that put in the effort.

What a long upwind haul on Pulse. We had a great start but Bare Essentials was obviously in her element. We did lots of tacks through Tiri Passage to miss the tide, and keep the other Cat 'Free Radical just behind us. Still in second at Kawau when the lights went out and the breeze increased slightly. We changed down to the staysail and left the full main up, and chose to keep well left in anticipation of the breeze going left and dropping. Which it never did. The boats outside is sailed past in the night.

Glad we missed the tanker leaving at 3.00am. Why do they leave then, then anchor? A challenging sail through the channel markers to the finish around 0430.

Easy enough to find the marina, but a pity the first bit can't be lit up better; it was as black as the inside of a cow just inside the entrance.

Great Marina and venue, and very good prizes for the event. I can't help thinking the whole thing has more potential and perhaps worth throwing around a few ideas in the future.

Best sail back though. Small kite on and we went surfing out to sea. Top speed of 22 knots on the log coming home. Great banter onboard between, Matt, Kent and I. Lots of opinionated discussions on the trip...

Well done to the organisers of the Route 66! Despite what I said at 4.00 in the morning, I'll be back!

Archived