whakanewha or rocky bay

I have some friends who are staying at onetangi this weekend, I am planning to stay on the southern side of waiheke i draw 2m of water , where can i sneak into a protected bay on the south side where there is a road nearby so I can be collected????

Thanks Peter

South side of Waiheke in my experience has very few spots for protection from south westerlies. Putiki Bay has good holding in mud and you could anchor along the southern side and get some protection. Just becareful as the bays dry out. You will also find spaces up near and around the moorings depending upon the length of the boat with reasonable depth, but it will get too shallow for you as you head in through the moored boats at the eastern end.

There is a small ramp on the point north of the moored boats and to the right of the little inlet (at the end of the inlet you can see the road and the sports club and beached boats). You can leave your dinghy on the little beach at the end, just pull it up high and the road is right there! If you will only be a few hours and the tide is in you can take your dinghy up the inlet and pull in on the first beach to the right at the left hand end. Watch out for the bloody oysters!! From here go up the bank (there is a path) to the road and it is a 15/20 min walk into the cafe and shops.

Rocky bay is okay, but no protection to the south as the moorings have taken most/all of the space on the western end of the bay. The road comes right down into the bay in the western corner.

cheers ending up staying at onetangi, BUT appreciate your advise, going gunk holing sp? around south and bottom end over easter, will have a tootle around then ! cheers Peter

spent a couple of hours out at Men's Bay on Rotoroa Is. yesterday on a mate's fiz nastie. Struck me as reasonably sheltered for a S/W - certainly the swell would be down though I suspect the odd gust would come over the top.

Great spot for a swim

Archived