Farr 3.7 Nationals 2011

Farr 3.7 Nationals 2011

This Easter weekend saw the 2011 3.7 Nationals held at the Manly Sailing Club, Whangaparaoa.

Conditions could not have been better for this regatta, with the NE'ly bringing a 2m swell outside of the bay. Wind throughout the regatta ranged from 10 knots, with gusts as high as 20 knots on Friday. This provided exciting reaches on the trapeze, plenty of drama at the wing mark and some spectacular wipe-outs.

Derek Scott dominated, scoring the minimum of 6 points. This was not without drama as a broken chainplate in race 6 nearly handed the championship over to Rhys Johnson, who finished 2nd Overall. After being towed ashore, Derek was able to replace the chainplate and make it back on the water for the start of Race 7. This is the second time Derek has won the Farr Cup.

Entering the final day saw fierce battling for the Veterans Cup with John Elliott and Phil Ash tied on points; and for first lady with Katie de Lange leading by 4 points over Naomi Paine. Local sailor Phil Ash edged out John Elliott in the final 2 races, whereas Naomi retired due to weather conditions.

Unfortunate circumstances meant that class stalwarts Lance O'Connell and Kevin Holland were unable to attend. This left space in the top 10, with the final placings as follows:

1 – Derek Scott

2 – Rhys Johnson

3 – Mark Overington

4 – Phil Ash

5 – John Elliott

6 – Andrew Clark

7 – Chris Hawkins

8 – Mike Jones

9 – Chris Mitchell

10 – Gavin Auld

Overall Winner – Derek Scott

Veterans Cup – Phil Ash

U21 Cup – Andrew Clark

First Lady – Katie de Lange

Honorable Mention - Mark Overington did well to finish 3rd in a borrowed boat, having only sailed a couple of times in a 3.7.

The 3.7 Class is a fantastic step up from the Starling and other youth classes. Sailors are most competitive between 60-75kg, however they have been sailed well by sailors as small as 55 and as large as 85kg. Age range: 15-66 and rising. As a trapeze boat, they reward agility and sailing skill over the brute strength required for hiking. Top boats sell for between $6000 and $8000.

Photos to come?

These photo's were taken on the first day of racing by Tim Griffiths.

There were more taken throghout the regatta by both him and Sean Paterson, but I do not have a copy of them yet.

post-3251-141887178292.jpg

post-3251-141887178293.jpg

post-3251-141887178295.jpg

ha...i knocked myself unconscious at a 3.7 after party after i had already tried to on the water :oops:

looks like it was a great regatta

d

T'is a shame you don't sail a 3.7 aye, usually that's a prerequisite for afterparties.

Ever heard the saying "What happens in the club stays in the club?"

ah yes there was a time.... loved it but 'twas time to move on...will miss those insane blast reaches....

Big Yes to those reaches...

Archived